new to hearth.com

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
leftover wood in a HomeDepot rack doesn't sound like a lot of wood to me.
especially referencing 3500 square feet.

I bought one of those inexpensive racks where you customize the size by adding your own 2x4. There is a lot of cut wood in the rear of my backyard that was left by the previous homeowner after he had approx. 11 trees cut down. I know I still need more but it is a start

tradergordo said:
Just a thought, but have you considered that maybe you can't afford this McMansion you are living in? Perhaps its time to seriously consider an exit strategy. I shutter to think of the bill from oil heat on a place like that, completely and totally unacceptable way to heat that place unless you're Al Gore :)

If you are willing to do the work, a woodstove will help a lot, personally I'd opt for a freestanding stove and run a liner from it into the existing chimneys. You will get more heat from a freestanding stove. But the inserts are pretty good too. If you are going to buy wood, get it a year in advance, you should buy right now for next year! In the meantime, you can work on building a nice place to store said wood. You are probably going to want more than one wood rack from Lowe's.

+1 on the freestanding or "hearth mounted" stove in the fireplace. That's how I've got mine and I find the masonry in the fireplace heats up real nice and lets it out long after the fire's gone out. Plus with a freestander, you don't have to worry about fiddling with blowers and the like that most inserts require.

As to the bedrooms and the pre-fab fireplace - no clue. Some places have codes against putting wood stoves in sleeping areas, so as was mentioned elsewhere in this thread - check your local codes on that.

You can also check into a big 'ol Masonry Heater. Do a search on that term here - you'll get an idea. Basically huge mass of really pretty masonry smack in the middle of your house that you fire up to insane temperatures twice a day and it just keeps things cosy and comfy. Disgustingly expensive to install after the fact though.

good luck!

tradergordo said:
Does Napoleon call it a "fireplace" instead of an "insert" so they can get around EPA certification? Seems dumb to me. Don't buy anything that doesn't qualify for the tax credit. Just at a glance, I'd trust the second reviewer, looks inefficient to me.

Fine, then go with the Quadrafire:

7100GrandFrame.jpg

Heating Capacity: up to 3,500 sq. ft.
Burn Time: up to 16 hours
Maximum Wood Length: 24"
Maximum Wood Diameter: 12"
EPA Certified 3.1 grams/hr.

just a lil note to tradergordo It's not so much the issue of not being able to afford our home. It's more about the principal of paying a ridiculous amount of money to Big Oil. These guys have politicians and wall st. in their pockets. They jack the prices up for ANY reason and its just plain disgusting. These guys are enjoying insane salaries and insane bonuses and they have the average everyday working people over a barrel. Like I said, its the principal just the principal. To agartner thanks for the info, I'm going to check out the local codes and get all the options available and make a choice and a "wise investment" based on whatever info I get. Will keep you posted.

that's alot of space. if you have forced air now, then an add-on furnace would be the best best. If you have the money then both a furnace and a couple of hearth stoves would be more than enough and you could experiment on what you want to run during different parts of the year.

We do not have access to oil or NG. I heat 4,850 sq.ft. With an Oslo, a Castine and two oil filled electric radiators, and if necessary a freestanding vent free propane stove The house is 8 yrs old and well insulated so we do stay warm. I surely do love looking at a fire but I think next year is wood furnace time. I have a 1000 gal. underground propane tank that has only dropped by 1/2 or so over the last few years(water heater is propane/electric). No water or sewer service here either. My front porch is an 8000 gal. cistern that recaptures, filters and treats rain water(well water back up). I have a leech field to deal with sewage. We don't even have cable access so we depend on a satellite connection for tv. So, as was previously stated heating a large place with stoves is quite doable but I think a furnace may be a bit more practical in the end.
Joe

polaris said:
We do not have access to oil or NG. I heat 4,850 sq.ft.

4850! Wow. I've always been curious to know why people buy or build houses that big? I guess if you can afford it, why not? With 4850 sq feet I think you could probably fit the usual rooms + 6 bedrooms, a movie theater, and a bowling alley :)

The only giant house I ever wanted to buy was this 17,000 sq foot cave home (current owner bought it on eBay for around $150,000!):
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/Economy/story?id=6941993&page=1

No theater or bowling alley but complete mother/father in-law quarters and a library that competes volume to volume with some dilapidated, underfunded local ones. Been considering an indoor shooting range but wife feels it might deter the regional chapter of M.A.D.G.T.R(mothers against drunk gun toting rednecks)from holding their monthly wine and cheese meetings here.
Joe

Hi -

How are you planning to secure wood in the future?

If you can get wood at a reasonable cost; I would go with a freestanding or “hearth mounted” stove in the fireplace as a first choice. I heat 2200 square ft with relative ease (Space heater in each bath).

Second I would probably get a add-on (piggy back0 wood furnace. They are relatively inexpensive and do a great job. Several of my elderly relatives have used them for years. They only quit when they were in their 80's because the wood had to be brought upstairs.

Welcome and all the best,

Todd said:
I smell a troll

Removed post. It was from Saudi Arabia. Links are to compressed files which could contain trojans or viruses. Not going to risk investigating on my or any hearth.com member's system.

Hows the insulation level in the house? Thats alot of square footage to heat. I'm a wood furnace guy, we couldn't heat this house with a stove. I would consider a wood furnace also. The wood furnace in the link I believe is the only clean burning hot air furnace of its size. It also qualifies for the tax credits. Plus has the option so you can heat your hot water, which would save quite a bit.

http://www.psg-distribution.com/product.aspx?CategoId=26&Id=376&Page=spec

Status
Not open for further replies.