new to Huntsman

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patrick Sands

Oct 14, 2013
RI
I just hooked up an old Huntsman in my basement(stove my wife's family used to heat their house growing up). Had my first fire yesterday, seemed to go real well but when I opened the door i did see some smoke come out of the side of the stove, not sure that should happen? Someone said it might be a gasket? after a while the fire got going and with door open it seemed fine?? thoughts, concerns, suggestions? Also I am curious about being able to get inspected for insurance...

Welcome Patrick. A leaky stove is not good. When the stove is cold inspect that area carefully for cracks, particularly along welds and seams. If you can get a helper, darken the room, then shine a bright light inside the stove pointed to the area of leakage and have your helper look for light leaks on the outside of the stove.

Regarding inspection, describe the installation in detail and include some pictures. Include the chimney details too.

When you say out the side what exactly do you mean? The side of the stove or the door?

7763965_3E913AWMB.jpg

OK, here goes, first off thanks! So I had a chiney guy come out and he said the chimney was all set, didn't need cleaning, was poored concrete with clay outside that. As for stove I believe the leak is going to be right along a weld line. my huntsman has what looks like a box on top of a rectangle. I think hte seam just under the flat edge where the top and bottom meet. I just talked to someone that said I should be able to patch with furnace cement...As for the set up/inspection....I just used black single wall 6 inch pipe from the stove to the existing outlet from the flu(flu was 7" so I started with a reducer to get to 6")...I used a T at the stove so I can clean the damper. I will try to get photos and send to you. I am in the middle of finding the building inspector for my town(richmond, RI) as I was told I will need them to inspect...

here is a picture, I sanded the entire thing down and got some of that special paint so it looks really nice...the seam that leaked was on the left under that edge that sticks out...

Attachments

• huntsman.JPG
    huntsman.JPG
    171.2 KB · Views: 362
The old stove looks like it cleaned up nicely.

Ya know of course that firewood is a combustible to be included within that 36" clearance requirement, right? Also, the wood doesn't look all that well seasoned. Check the chimney frequently for creosote buildup.

yeah got it, was just in the mode of cleaning out and setting up but will make sure everything is outside of the 36"...thanks for the heads up, and yes it sure did get clean up nice...

Status
Not open for further replies.