New(to me) Pacific Insert Baffle Insulation?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MR.MANN

Jan 30, 2011
N.B. Canada
Hey everyone! Have been browsing this site for a couple months now and finally signed up. Great site with a lot of great opinions. I have a couple questions about an insert i just picked up. It is a PE Pacific Insert, the sticker is punched September 1998 for build date. I just pulled all the fire bricks out and vaccumed all the dust out, the bricks were in excellent shape. I then pulled the baffle out and cleaned.

The white insulation on top of the baffle is a little bit ripped and dirty, i looked at the parts diagram from PE and didnt see the insulation as a separate part(I assume it comes with the baffle kit). Should i replace this insulation now that I have it apart or will it suffice for a while yet?

Other than that, the stove seems to be in good shape for its age. I dont plan on installing it into my old steel box fireplace until I can have it inspected and a flex liner installed in weeks to come. Is there anything else i should look for while I have it apart and accessible?

Post some pics of the blanket and other parts.
Check all the welds, esp around the door opening and inside the front.
Lets see some photos! And welcome aboard!

I'm not sure about the insulation that's in the baffle but the little rectangular gasket that sits between the baffle and the tube pretty much needs to be replaced after each cleaning unless you're very carefull...

PNWBurner said:
I'm not sure about the insulation that's in the baffle but the little rectangular gasket that sits between the baffle and the tube pretty much needs to be replaced after each cleaning unless you're very carefull...

Not if you make your own custom out of small diameter rope gasket, ;)
3 seasons & going strong!

What does he mean when he says he cut the "insert" out? The baffle?

Thanks for the replys. So I took it apart. Removed the tin shield that bolts together all around the stove, took the blower off and cleaned all the fins, removed all parts that I could. Inspected all the welds which look good! I have some photos of the baffle, and the insulation. Its not perfect but just may get through this season?
I am also going to get some high temp paint and paint the stove and surround. Any odd things to pay attention to while doing this? All in all I think its a pretty decent stove for the price.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 409
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 438
  • photo 5.jpg
    photo 5.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 421
I removed the brick rails, and both are warped pretty bad. Must have had some duzies in her.
Would I just heat and straighten them? or do they need to be replaced?

Attachments

• photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 323
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 312
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 315
Replace with the newer design stainless rails. Maybe consider upgrading to the stainless baffle too.

BeGreen said:
Replace with the newer design stainless rails. Maybe consider upgrading to the stainless baffle too.

Agreed, and that blanket looks pretty wooped.

This is in regards to the blankets on the left and right rails. Is the baffle supposed to sit on top of the blanket, or is the blanket supposed to be next to the baffle (against the side walls). When i look up at the baffle, i see no blanket sticking between the baffle and the rail, is this correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.