New to the forum, just sayin hey...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Redcloud5400

Nov 4, 2013
USA
I have had a 'Mity Oak' Parlor Stove now for about 5 years, and finally could afford the proper pipe to install it in my shop. The fella who gave her to me remembers his dad using it to heat his auto shop some 45 years ago.

My friend told me his dad bought it new from a stove shop in Pennsylvania years before that--so I would guess the stove to be over 50 years old? Its in great shape and hasnt been fired since his dad passed 45 years ago, when he aquired the stove.

The way my shop is layed out it made best sense to go with a cathedral box installation for 6" chimney. I will post up some pics of my stove a bit later.

I am excited to have joined this forum--looks like a great reosource and place to talk stoves.

This is my first wood stove and wanted to do a bit more reading before my first firing--I can't wait to get her rolling.

A little bit about my install--The stove sits about 52" tall at the oval discharge, and I have a 10 to 11 foot run of single wall, including the slip joint, Class A to single wall adapter, and two elbows to locate the stove where I want it, topped off with 5 feet of my Class A chimney and cap. I am slightly 2 feet above the peak of my shop (I do a lot of wood working and cabinet making)

To date I've been heating with Kero, and have had enough of that.

I see from browsing that most of you have some seriously nice stoves...quite modern--someday for this guy! I will continue to read through the newb section to glean what I can.

I searched for similar stoves here, and didnt find too many listings. What do you guys think?

I will start with a small fire to see how the stove responds, how the throttles work, how she responds to dampening, etc. To start I have some seasoned and dry black locust. I know this wood has some of the highest btu/lb. Plan to star with some tinder, and add a couple of small chunks/split pieces 3" x 3" x 12"

I finished the install last night, have a very nice draft that I checked by burning some incense.

Any other thoughts? suggestions?

How long did it take you to get comfortable with your stoves, and by comfortable, I mean shutting the stove down, leaving the shop/building, and not having any worries?!

Cheers!

Welcome, Redcloud. :)
You might find something about the stove in the Classic Wood Stove forum.
You are going about it the right way; Burns small loads at first and get a feel for how the stove reacts. Being and older, non-airtight, you'll have to make sure it is not going to go ballistic on a full load of small splits loaded on a hot coal bed. Be especially careful with the Black Locust; That stuff burns hot....a full load on a big coal bed could be problematic. _g If you know your stove and know your fuel, you can predict (usually) what the stove will do, and you can feel comfortable leaving it when it is burning.

Hi Red, and welcome to the forum! Your post will get better responses in the classic stove forum, but no worries... one of the mod's will move it for you, as soon as they see it.

Make sure you consult with some of the classic stove experts, to be sure that old thing is safe before firing it. There are both good and bad, in old stoves. Good luck!

If you keep an eye on craigslist, you may eventually come across a killer deal on a newer (post-1990) EPA stove that reburns the smoke. The benefit would be less wood use/longer burn times.

Last edited:
Welcome! Woodworking is also a hobby of mine. This is a great place to share some knowledge and get feedback if you need some help!

thanks for the warm welcome all! I would certainly like to have my thread moved to the Classic. Intuitively I was going to post there, but I know a lot of other forums I am on, classic means 'legacy posts' which are usually replaced with a more modern forum format. Thanks for going light on the new guy! If the moderators could, please move my post at your convenience...

I have burned all types of wood my whole life, and am well acquanted with a variety of woods and how they respond. Grew up with an incinerator in the basement, as well as a wood burning fire place that we used daily. I can remember at the young age of 7 starting some of my first fires with dad helping. I want to go slow for sure as there is a lot at stake if things go wrong...granted its a detached at the back of the property...not an occupancy, and I will only be heating when I am back there doing some work.

From the little that I have read so far, I can see some temp gages and a moisture meter in my future for monitoring purposes. I do have an infrared that I use a LOT. Does Harbor Freight sell any moisture meters? Anyone have any experience wiht them?

I have a 'wood grenade' and am not afraid to use it! I love that thing.

No problem. I can move or you can hang out here. Who knows we may talk you into getting a modern stove.

Reactions: Ashful
Hi Red,

I'm not sure if Harbor Freight sells a moisture meter, but a lot of use us moisture meter made by General and sold at Lowes for less than $30. It's a proven model.

Reactions: Redcloud5400
Hi Red,

I'm not sure if Harbor Freight sells a moisture meter, but a lot of use us moisture meter made by General and sold at Lowes for less than $30. It's a proven model.

Thanks for the recommendation on the moisture meter Joful...I am going to head out and snap some pics to upload, and will start a new thread in he appropriate section.

Welcome to the forum Redcloud.

Would surely appreciate a picture of that old stove. I think I remember what that one looked like but it has been a long time ago.

Yes, the old stoves have sentimental value but if you want to get into some serious heating, the new stoves are a world of difference. Just as an example, the stove we had before our present stove barely heated our home and we burned 6 cord per year with a few years going way over that. We have had the Woodstock Fireview now for 6 full winters (our only heat) and we average 3 cord per year and stay a whole lot warmer too. In addition, it is one beautiful stove and not a black box.

h7k2.jpg

well here she is in all her nostalgic glory. I did remove her from the roller I made so I can move her about the shop without damaging the legs.

What do you guys think?

Reactions: Ashful
Status
Not open for further replies.