New to this and need help!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Draygyen

Nov 26, 2014
connecticut
Hey everyone, I'm new to the pellet stove scene but Im definitely interested in purchasing one! That being said we just purchased our first home and it's an 800 sqft rance ( not including finished basement ) and it has a small fireplace. Im interested in a insert but trying not to spend a fortune because we will have a relatively tight budget. What are some recommendations based on my basic info?

First, check pellet availability in your area, I hear they are hard to come by in some parts of Conn.

If you are familiar with basic hand tools, be patient and check Craigslist for a used one. Save a ton and it'll work just as well with a 'tune up'.

Tough to name any stoves without a rough budget mentioned.

Might want to put some fireplace dimensions too. The size of the fireplace opening will determine what size insert you can install.

The fireplace is shallow, I won't have actual dimensions until the final walk through. I'm an electrician by trade so I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty. I would say budget would be 2k but I'd definitely like to stay below that. There was a supply problem but from what I understand it's resolved. ( a few people I know have stoves)

I found mine on Craigslist for 480 bucks including every bit of piping I needed.

It was in need of a good cleaning.

Works great so far!

I would think you could find a nice insert for far less than 2K.

Here are a couple of choices in CT. (Not sure where you are.)

http://hartford.craigslist.org/for/4775234894.html

http://hartford.craigslist.org/hsh/4748985915.html

Also..........there are plenty of pellets available in Mass. I'm sure you can find them in CT at well.

Good luck! Lots of great folks around here that will help you.

Reactions: alternativeheat
Status
Not open for further replies.