New To Wood Stoves and Need Advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gmtechguy

Nov 9, 2013
nj
Hi everyone,
I have been reading the forum for quite a while and have finally purchased a stove. Although some might not be crazy about them, and others like them a lot, I bought a US Stoves APS1100B EPA non-catalytic stove. I got it from Tractor Supply on clearance. I was trying to find a home depot anywhere in my region that stocked the Englander stoves but none do. Lowes stocks the Pleasant Hearth stoves but since they are fairly new and there wasn't much info, I went with the USS.

So now the install issues.....I bought a ceiling support kit, split lock stove pipe, insulated chimney pipe, and other odds and ends for the install. I plan to make a tile hearth on 1/4 in. HardieBacker, as my stove only requires 1/4 in. non-combustible pad. So I found where my stove will sit and centered in between the ceiling joists getting ready to cut my hole for the ceiling support. I sent a screw up through the sheetrock to go up in the attic and see where I was. Well the ceiling joists are so close to the roof due to the taper of my full hip roof, that I don't have room for the insulation shield unless it sticks through the roof into the flashing. It is either that or put an offset in the stove pipe to bring it out further up the roof. Any advice? Is it bad to have an offset bringing the pipe out toward you if you are looking at the stove? Is there a limit on the angle?

I really don't like this split wall imperial pipe from Lowes. It is very difficult to work with and I can see gaps in their adjustable 90 degree elbows. I might have to return that.

Thank you so much. I hope this wasn't too long of a post. I respect the knowledge you guys have and hope you can help.

The offset might be the answer... a straight shot is best for draft. You made end up with more of the total chimney height inside which may help with draft over colder chimney. Other option is to think about whether or not their could be a better spot for the stove closer to the center peak of the hip roof... but that takes into account the rest of your interior design.

Welded seam pipe like Heat-Fab is great stuff.....
https://www.hearth.com/visit/heatfab/

As far as the attic insulation shield and where you are coming out, there may be various options. The reason for an attic insulation shield is mostly to keep insulation from falling into and interfering with the cooling of the pipe. So you may be able to modify (cut this down) so it does not extend up through to the roof sheathing.

You could offset the interior pipe a bit. Offsetting in the attic is probably tough to do because you don't have enough room if it's that tight.

A last option would be to use a roof support system instead of a ceiling support.

I can't speak for my (old) installers, but my guess is that they would have modified the AIS.

Go to a reputable stove shop and spend a little more for quality stove pipe. You won't be sorry.

Thank you for the quick replies. For the offset, I was referring to installing it in the black stove pipe before it gets to the ceiling, I know they make them for the chimney pipe but I was hoping to not offset in the attic. Sorry I didn't specify.

Is it ok to have an offset you think? If so is it a bad idea to use the adjustable elbows? Is there a rule of thumb for maximum degree bend, or length between bends?
How do you clean a chimney with an offset?

I do plan to visit the local fireplace store for black pipe. They are a bit pricey on everything but it's close and I wouldn't have to wait.

I don't think I can modify the AIS much on this one. The chimney pipe and ceiling kit are Supervent brand from Lowes and the AIS has a dome shaped top that goes around the chimney pipe and the bottom has a flange and is boxed out to nail to ceiling joists.

I thought I had it all worked out until I got into the attic.

I know people in just about every trade except this one. So again, I really value and appreciate your help. All of you.

To limit the reduction in draft, run the offset at a 45 degree angle this is better than a horizontal run

Status
Not open for further replies.