New Toy - Chusky Chainsaw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If the oil bottle says mix it with 2 1/2 gallons thats what I do, why do any thing different? Is there a reason to do so?

Never had one of those little bottles except what came with my weedwackers. I buy gallon jugs. Another interesting thing is that this manual and the Zenoah manual both say to use motor oil for bar oil. Like I did for forty years until just a few years ago.

The 50:1 mixes and tacky bar oil have "EPA" written all over them.

Read something by a former engineer at Husky one time that said the engineer's assignment was to design a saw that would run on 50:1 long enough to get it out of warranty.

oldspark said:
If the oil bottle says mix it with 2 1/2 gallons thats what I do, why do any thing different? Is there a reason to do so?

I don't know. Just when I think all is going just fine, I then read some post about mixing 25:1 or 32:1. I'm mixing 40:1. Makes me wonder.

Battenkiller said:
I agree. Saw supposedly had a broken clutch, tight bar rail groove and a few other problems. I just though it was funny is all.

Be interesting to see how that saw might run all broke in and tuned up, but my 357XP would eat that saw alive if that's all it's got. Revs just died in the cut, and it wasn't revving that high to begin with. Hope BB has better luck with his.

There are other differences that I can see from the specs, like the RedMax saws have split magnesium crankcases, adjustable oilers (usually), quality carbs, etc. Not sure what's under the hood of BB's saw, but there has to be some build/quality issues. Chinese pistons and jugs may be identical in appearance, doesn't mean they'll hold up to time. Tolerances throughout may be looser as well, and this would rob horsepower and shorten tool life, and carb and other adjustments on a lesser product may not hold well. But for under $100 to your door? Wow, that is amazing.

HAHA I'm pretty sure my stock Poulan 62cc Super 380 w/13,500RPM would run that saw into the ground also.Check out some of that guy's other videos.He's a pro timber faller up in B.C.,Canada.Really knows his stuff.A couple close calls like everyone else,but everything worked out OK.Apparantly he builds & mods saws on the side also.

BrotherBart said:
Never had one of those little bottles except what came with my weedwackers. I buy gallon jugs. Another interesting thing is that this manual and the Zenoah manual both say to use motor oil for bar oil. Like I did for forty years until just a few years ago.

The 50:1 mixes and tacky bar oil have "EPA" written all over them.

Read something by a former engineer at Husky one time that said the engineer's assignment was to design a saw that would run on 50:1 long enough to get it out of warranty.
Oh jeez something else to fret over, Stihl doubles the warranty if you buy their Ultra with a new saw.

Thanks. Good to know what the future will bring with the saw.

"WILD THING - I think I luv you." :lol:

Looking forward to a review after you get that thing broke in. A mid 50cc saw at 90 bean pods?? Delivered? I don't know how they can do it.

Jags said:
A mid 50cc saw at 90 bean pods?? Delivered? I don't know how they can do it.

Child & slave labor at $1.50/day pretty much covers it.

Battenkiller said:
Jags said:

Have you been reading the comments about China in the "Made In U.S.A." thread? :smirk:

Nope - maybe I should??

Jags said:
Battenkiller said:
Jags said:

Have you been reading the comments about China in the "Made In U.S.A." thread? :smirk:

Nope - maybe I should??

Adios Pantalones said:
China just released new poverty numbers showing that there are a LOT of people there living on $1 a day.

But at least taxes are low.

Battenkiller said:
Here's its bigger brother. Looks like you have to shake it every now and then to keep it running, but that's perfectly normal, isn't it? %-P

I put a stop watch on your vid. I get 7secs. Pretty bad for a 62cc saw. I have a 45cc Husky that will cut 11dia cherry in 4secs. How big was that log and what was it.

wkpoor said:
Battenkiller said:
Here's its bigger brother. Looks like you have to shake it every now and then to keep it running, but that's perfectly normal, isn't it? %-P

I put a stop watch on your vid. I get 7secs. Pretty bad for a 62cc saw. I have a 45cc Husky that will cut 11dia cherry in 4secs. How big was that log and what was it.

Looks like 11-12 in.Douglas Fir or Hemlock.

Here is the same saw as mine doing some cutting.

Battenkiller said:
Shoulda figured. Aussie wood. Not much good for stoves, the bark is fireproof. :lol:

I think I put some of that in my stove last night. >:-(

I'll put my little old used 026 up against that saw any day, but for $90.00 I may get one for fun. A C

Good loaner and backup saw. Keeps your good saw in better shape if your friends and family aren't using it. Also a good first saw for basic yard cleanup and 1-2 cord a year woodburners. Abuse it, put it away hot and wet and if it dies after a few years you really don't give a damn.

Watching those videos , I think my old 42cc Craftsman (a Wild Thing in a forest green case) would run with it or maybe faster in the cut. The 346XP and 359 would be no contest but in all fairness I wouldn't expect a sub $100 saw to keep up with $500-600 machines in the same general cc range.

Be interesting to see if it gets better as it breaks in over the first 10-12 tanks of fuel and and how it responds to the more common 2 stroke mods like opening the muiffler and maybe a base gasket-ectomy.

It would make a good christmas gift for the right person.

Same saw except the breather cover is like the D45.

Fact of life folks. Every one of these things from 33cc to 58cc are the same dang saw. With a different stroke length. Look at hundreds of them and they are going to be just alike except a different color sometimes. Just like when Honda took a shot at outsourcing the manufacturing of the GX engines, Zenoah did it with their saws. And when they changed their minds and went home they ran into the problem that the Chinese owned the tooling and the plants. Not them.

In the court fights all the Japanese won was making them take the labels off of them.

BTW: Just finished tuning it. Sucker screams. May blow up, but it will be screaming when it does it. :lol:

BB if your implying that the "Honda Clones" coming from Chinese manufacturers are the same quality as the genuine article then I have to disagree. They might stamp the valve covers the same shape and copy the rest of the externals for appearance but after hundreds of hours (they seldom make it to thousands) in the field, the differences become very apparent.

Status
Not open for further replies.