1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

New tractor

Post in 'The Gear' started by Jack Straw, Apr 16, 2013.

1. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

That looks like a TC30 or similar? If so, your brother is right. :cool:

We need to see some action shots of this thing!
    Jack Straw likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. TreePointer

TreePointer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western PA
    Congrats on the tractor, Jack!

Also, nice decision on getting the pallet forks. I never thought I would use mine as much as I do.
    Jack Straw likes this.
  3. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

They make great log haulers too!
    Jack Straw likes this.
  4. TreePointer

Loc:
    Western PA
    You got that right! My forks have moved logs probably 10X more than they have touched pallets.
    Jack Straw likes this.
  5. Jack Straw

Jack Straw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schoharie County, N Y
    MM-it's a TC 35

I have most of my wood stacked on wood racks and I am hoping to move them with the forks.
    MasterMech likes this.
  6. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Just be sure you keep some ballast on the back and keep her in 4wd, or back down hills, when you have a heavy load on the front. DAMHIKT. I'll just say that tractors don't often have front brakes, so you don't want the rear getting too light on a slippery hill!
    Jack Straw likes this.
  7. Foragefarmer

Foragefarmer Member

Loc:
    Central, Virginia
    Congrats, I have a Workmaster 75. I am guessing the quick attach on the FEL is the same as on mine in that it is the same as a skidsteer? I like that on mine, I can use the attachments on both and load attachments onto my equipment trailer with the tractor FEL. That is one point where John Deere really falls short. I was just using a brand new 5 series one last week and it was a PITA.
  8. Jack Straw

Loc:
    Schoharie County, N Y
    I believe it is the same as the skid steer and I read that John Deer has there own type of system.
  9. rkusek

rkusek Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nebraska
    If I could do my acreage all over I would start with a new little tractor and all the attachments like yours with the addition of one of those little backhoes on the back. The new stuff all comes on an off much easier than the old too. Enjoy!
  10. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Deere has a decent quick-tatch system... but they have to do things just a little different, being Deere. Their system does not play well with others.
  11. charly

charly Guest

Jack if we don't see you posting on here much, we know where you are and what your probably doing,, siting on something blue;lol Enjoy it! Nice tractor!
    Jack Straw likes this.
  12. TreePointer

Loc:
    Western PA
    These days, John Deere offers their own JD quick attach or the universal quick attach.
    Jack Straw likes this.
  13. Jack Straw

Loc:
    Schoharie County, N Y
    Well my swamp like land has to dry up before I can do much. For now I have to use the Honda Foreman.
  14. greg13

greg13 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    CNY
    If it is a standard skid steer mount, you can add an Auxiliary hyd. valve and use a grapple bucket.
    TreePointer likes this.
  15. TreePointer

Loc:
    Western PA
    That's on my wish list.
    Jack Straw likes this.
  16. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Leave it in 4WD. Makes it a four wheel braking system. ;)

And yes, proper ballast is not an option.

The attachments for the JD system are generally suited for compact tractors. The universal, or skid steer style, while very robust, usually takes attachments and/or buckets that are also very HD compared to the ones intended for CUT use. While that may seem great, the heavy buckets/attachments are often way overkill and only subtract from the actual amount of work the loader can do. I wouldn't even consider it for anything under 40HP unless you absolutely had to use it for a "must-have" attachement. Especially since Deere makes some pretty bullet-proof HD bucket options for the CUT loaders.
    Jack Straw likes this.
  17. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    I hate you. ;lol
    Jack Straw and TreePointer like this.
  18. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Yes... I learned that the hard way, one day. Made for an exciting ride down the hill! Thankfully, all ended well. Now, she's always in 4wd whenever there's any sort of load in the bucket, and I back down big hills when carrying anything real heavy.
    Jack Straw likes this.
  19. fox9988

fox9988 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Arkansas
    +1 on the 4x4 braking on an incline. Bucking logs off the forks will spoil you. I drive them right to the stacking area with the splitter sitting there. C/S/S without ever fully lifting the rounds (milk crate style but I prefer thr height of a round).
  20. nate379

nate379 Guest

21. Jack Straw

Loc:
    Schoharie County, N Y
    Thanks for all of the compliments and the advice. Sounds like I should keep her in 4 wheel drive mowing around the pond. The tires are loaded and I could use the box scraper for ballast. I am hoping to use the forks to carry logs out of the woods.
  22. Jack Straw

Loc:
    Schoharie County, N Y
    You need to be careful. My wife knows a guy who bought a used tractor. He borrowed a large sum of money for it and when he took it to the dealer for service they ran the serial number and it came back stolen. He now has a monthly tractor payment and no tractor. You also need to mark sure the tractor is paid or or will be after you buy it.
  23. simple.serf

simple.serf Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Sherman, NY
    Nice!

We have a NH dealer near us, and they have quite a bit of nice stuff. They used to be a Massey dealer, and they take a lot of Masseys and Fergusons (Yeah, lots of pre 56 stuff there). I am a cheap SOB, so I prefer to buy the trade ins that accumulate at the dealer's lot at the local equipment auction. I can tolerate a lot of damage for the prices, and old gas stuff goes really cheap around here.

I suspect that I have this tendency because It would kill me to scratch new paint. I cant even buy a new car for that reason.

Have fun!
  24. nate379

nate379 Guest

The dealer stole it back from him? Pretty sure I'd stop paying that loan!

25. Jack Straw

Loc:
    Schoharie County, N Y
    He bought it used from an individual....I don't know what happened to the guy he bought it from.