New user / PE Summit Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

seggerty

Nov 25, 2007
Linthicum, MD
Hello,

I am new to wood stoves but have been a regular at this site for about 4 months. In October I purchased a PE Summit insert and installed with a full stainless liner. I am a weekend/evening burner and have lit the stove off a few times this year. Now to the question. the stove has been running fine until yesterday. It now starts puffing some smoke into the room when I open the door and there seems like no combustion air is reaching the back of the stove. This leaves plenty of cold coals in the rear of the stove. Hopefully there is a quick fix because it is a pain to shuffle coals around when it was working fine just a few days ago. Any help would be appreciated, and I plan to call the PE techline Monday. Thanks in advance.

Ryan

How deep are the ashes? Are they blocking the air inlets? Check the cap, make sure its not clogged with creostote.
You might be burning wet wood.

How tall is the chimney?

Is it on an exterior wall?

There will always be more coals at he back (or opposite) the primary air as the load burns down. They need to be raked forward before adding new wood...SOP with all stoves.

Try adjusting the air control all the way open before opening the door. Or cracking the door a bit wait a second and then open it slowly. Really there is no need to open the door except when the fire is burned down to coals. 95% of the time it is the draft, wood, or the operator.

The Chimney is about 16' tall and is located in the interior of the house. The coal base is pretty deep which might be part of the problem. But there is a definite line in the middle of the stove where some coals are glowing red and the others are black. The wood is somewhat suspect since I just moved from Florida so I had to buy what they called seasoned wood but it really isnt. Starting is sometimes the issue but once it is going adding wood and it burning is not an issue. I will check the cap today. I always put the intake on high before opening the door and wait a few seconds before fully opening.

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.