New wood burner question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlaskanRedneck

Hearth Supporter
Oct 15, 2009
Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
I've got a Hearthstone Phoenix stove, still working on installation, my question is inside the stove, on top of the airwash tubes there is a piece of white insulation of some kind. What is that and what is going to keep it from burning up?

It's a mineral insulation board, it is meant to be there as part of the stove.

It will not burn unless your stove goes thermonuclear, but mat deteriorate over a few years

As stated, this is a necessary component of your stove. All modern EPA certified stoves that use this method (as opposed to the "downdraft" type stoves) to burn combustible wood gases have a "baffle" in the top of the stove made out of some type of special material. My stove uses a combination of refractory fire brick and steel. Basically the baffle forces the smoke to take a less direct route to the chimney. While the smoke is collected underneath the baffle, preheated secondary combustion air is "injected" onto the top of the fire by the burn tubes, causing the wood smoke itself to combust and burn. This gives you more heat and a cleaner burn. As you load your stove, take care not to hit the baffle with your splits, as this will extend its life somewhat.

The above posts are 100% correct. I just wanted to say congrats on buying a great stove. Of course, if there is no photo, theres a 50% chance you dont have that stove at all

Well as long as it isn't a piece of styrofoam that the woodstove shop stuffed into the top of the stove since they didn't have any better place to put it, I think it would be safe to say you'll be OK since this is (as mentioned) most likely an integral part of the secondary burn technology -- either the baffle board (or baffle board and insulation blanket like some models have). Both the baffle board and insulation blanket (if the Phoenix has one) are fire proof and both are important to keep things working.

Incidentally, welcome to the forum . . . and where on the Kenai are you located? My sister and her husband live in Portage . . . almost across from Big Game Alaska (well they have a new name for it now . . . can't remember the exact name.)

Pagey - I've been on this website for a little over a year and every once in a while I find a post that really explains certain things perfectly.Yours is one of those posts.

Rob

Let Me Stand Next To Your Fire said:
Pagey - I've been on this website for a little over a year and every once in a while I find a post that really explains certain things perfectly.Yours is one of those posts.

Rob

Why thank you! :red: I'm here to help, just like the rest of us. :coolgrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.