New Wood burner!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Valkyrie Rider

Hearth Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Litchfield County, CT
Picked up a new wood stove yesterday to put into my new stainless chimney! I am getting SERIOUS about burning wood and getting rod of the old, now not up to code wood stove that is currently in my house. I had an old WOOD HOG coal wood stove piped into the same flue as my oil boiler.

I removed the old stove and closed up the old hole in the chimney.

Bought a leftover Englander 24-ACD that was BRAND new from a dealer who still had a couple stoves that were never used, in his garage, with all paperwork.

I also bought a full insualted stainess chimney though the supply house we use at work. I got the whole stainless class A chimney for about 40% off of normal price you would see at the big box stores or TSC, online etc.

Can't wait for winter now to start burning wood and NOT using oil! I have a full oil tank as my DHW come from the boiler..... but I don't plan to buy any more oil for AT LEAST a year! If the wood heats really well, I may end up installing a tankless water heater that runs on propane and just keeping the oil burner for back-up and when we are away.

Welcome VR. Sounds like you are ready to go. It will be interesting to see how the cat Englander burns for you. Now be sure to have lots of dry wood ready for winter and you'll be all set.

Hello VR, welcome to the forum. I don't think if it was my stove that I would put it inside the chimney. If you go that route you will have a hard time filling it and miss seeing the fire. Sorry but the heat made me say it.
Don

kool!!! youre in for a treat! i burned that model stove for over a decade in my home. heated the whole house easily. good part is that even though that model is discontinued we still support it and will for years to come so parts in the future will not be an issue (not that you would need much , only thing i replaced in mine during its use was the gaskets a couple times (fair wear and tear items) although i did pull the cat after 12 years and replaced it ( didnt need to , we were looking at a different cat and i wanted to try it out) if there is one thing you will want to get its the ac-13 condar cat thermometer. it works much better for monitoring cat temps, i usually loaded the stove , got it lit with the door cracked and the bypass (damper rod on the right side rear near the top) until the cat thermometer reached about 500 then shut the door , the bypass and set my draft control down to set for the long burn. usually i ran it with the cat burning at 800-1000 F. worked well for me and running hotter would just get it too hot in my house. if i can answer any questions about that unit just give me a shout. was a heck of a stove , i hated seeing it go, but then its replacement was the 30 so that cushioned the blow quite a bit.

stoveguy2esw said:
kool!!! youre in for a treat! i burned that model stove for over a decade in my home. heated the whole house easily. good part is that even though that model is discontinued we still support it and will for years to come so parts in the future will not be an issue (not that you would need much , only thing i replaced in mine during its use was the gaskets a couple times (fair wear and tear items) although i did pull the cat after 12 years and replaced it ( didnt need to , we were looking at a different cat and i wanted to try it out) if there is one thing you will want to get its the ac-13 condar cat thermometer. it works much better for monitoring cat temps, i usually loaded the stove , got it lit with the door cracked and the bypass (damper rod on the right side rear near the top) until the cat thermometer reached about 500 then shut the door , the bypass and set my draft control down to set for the long burn. usually i ran it with the cat burning at 800-1000 F. worked well for me and running hotter would just get it too hot in my house. if i can answer any questions about that unit just give me a shout. was a heck of a stove , i hated seeing it go, but then its replacement was the 30 so that cushioned the blow quite a bit.

THANKS MIKE! I do plan to get the CAT thermometer for the stove. I know that monitoring temps to light off the catalyst is important as are not running it too hot (I had a small cat stove before).

What kind of burn times can I expect with a moderate temp setting and good, dry oak/cherry/ash?

Status
Not open for further replies.