New yard wood hauler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danno77

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2008
Hamilton, IL
Just got back from some yard sales. Ended up with a decent looking yard cart like this one:
07124424000.jpg

Only paid 40 for it. Maybe not the best bargain in the history of the world, but I don't have to assemble it and it's a much better size than the small one I've been using, and I won't have to bother with putting a ball on the mower anytime I needed the small trailer, because this should be able to take it's place for most jobs.

I've had one of these for years and it beats using a wheel barrel for heavy work. You can haul several things in this trailer. From wood to crushed stone, it's very durable. Here's a pic hauling wood around.

index.php

index.php

The sheet metal is a tad flimsy, so I think it'll be a dented mess when I'm through with it. Should be able to hold up, though, just look ugly. That's the nice thing about it being used, I'm gonna work it without worrying that I'll damage the thing I spent good money and time to have.

I got mine at Sears and it looks just like the one you posted. Most likely built by the same vendor. Mine isn't pretty anymore from the years of use. Dent's and rust, yup. Get's the job done, yup!

stejus said:
I got mine at Sears and it looks just like the one you posted. Most likely built by the same vendor. Mine isn't pretty anymore from the years of use. Dent's and rust, yup. Get's the job done, yup!
Yeah, it's a craftsman, gotta be from sears like yours.

We still have our craftsman. It looks a bit different than the one pictured though. Seems to me the box is 48" in length and probably 36" in width but would have to measure to be sure. It has hauled a lot of wood over the years plus lots of sand, gravel and whatever. It is about worn out now and I'll have to redo the tailgate as that rusted out as has the floor. But, I used it just yesterday to haul a little bit of sand. It still comes in handy.

;-) 17 cu ft!

Attachments

• zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 555
It's supposed to be 10cuft. Mine measured on the inside as 47" x 30" x 12" (LxWxH)

Hey with just a little quick work and some basic materials you can beef that cart up drastically....I got some 1 1/2" angle iron and made a frame for around the tailgate area on a cart very similar to this one you purchased, and it made the cart much more sturdy around the tailgate....you can either weld the angle around the back tailgate area or bolt it on, but it made a big difference in how the cart holds up! Beats using a wheelbarrow!

Flamegrower said:
Hey with just a little quick work and some basic materials you can beef that cart up drastically....I got some 1 1/2" angle iron and made a frame for around the tailgate area on a cart very similar to this one you purchased, and it made the cart much more sturdy around the tailgate....you can either weld the angle around the back tailgate area or bolt it on, but it made a big difference in how the cart holds up! Beats using a wheelbarrow!
I was thinking of doing exactly what you are talking about, haven't decided yet.

Good work saver.
I bet you'll haul many cords with it over the years.

I use one of those behind my ATV. I put a ball hitch on it...works great. It's saved so much time vs the ol wheelbarrow.

[quote author="Danno77" date="1316911177]I was thinking of doing exactly what you are talking about, haven't decided yet.[/quote]

Yes Danno....for around 20 bucks you can beef that thing up to last many many times longer than the tin gusset that wraps around the back......leave it there, and build yerself an angle iron surround.....easy to do and will make that cart ten times stronger.......

$25 at local farm estate auction back in mid-'80's.Soon after I had to replace the tires,guessing the cart is at least 40 yrs old now, its all 1 1/2" welded angle iron & channel with double thickness tongue, 3/4" pine sides & floor.About 15 yrs back replaced 2 of the 1 x 6's on floor,last month replaced original 1 x 12 sliding back gate with a piece of much stronger scrap 3/4" Plyform taken from jobsite dumpster.Routinely haul between 400 & 500 lbs in this,sometimes a bit more.Inside measurement of cart is 16 high,22 wide,40 long.Very stout,almost 100lbs empty.Whoever built this knew what they were doing.

Tractor & cart get lots of places on these steep slopes that full size GMC 4X 4 wont go.Here in town I use standard steel 6 cubic foot contractors wheelbarrow for moving wood & other things,since its mostly level & only used for short distances.

Attachments

• 1st load of 4 today 90511.jpg
    1st load of 4 today 90511.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 457
  • 2nd load of 3 today 92011.jpg
    2nd load of 3 today 92011.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 488
  • 2nd load pic 2.jpg
    2nd load pic 2.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 472
Damn - Everybody here has more STUFF than I do!

PFFT!!!

Littlalex

Loco Gringo said:
Thistle, is that a 110 pulling it?
Sure is! I love those things...

The last photo confirms it. The mower deck looks to be in good shape too. That tractor is worth $$$ around here.

MasterMech said:
The last photo confirms it. The mower deck looks to be in good shape too. That tractor is worth $$$ around here.

Parents bought it in 1985 if I remember.Its a 1975 model according to Owner's Manual.According to JD 110 website,the model was made from 1964-1974,the last year of the series was also the heaviest,at 775 pounds with 10HP Kohler cast iron engine & 38" mower deck.Its built like a tank.Just a great workhorse,plenty of power,just lacks traction sometimes on steep slopes if grass is wet or its muddy.Had to replace the gearshift knob & handle,a pulley w/ bearing undernearth the mower & a couple v-belts,the seat,new starter solenoid & a couple other small parts over the years,that's pretty much it though.The gas gauge with needle on the gas cap was barely working when they got it,all fogged over..Lens eventually fell out.Now to check fuel level I use a sliver of pine,3/8" wooden dowel or a flashlight on certain days.Cap is still closes tight & secure,just that cork bobble thingy is gone too.I'm too cheap to pay $35 + shipping for a NOS one :lol: Only real issue with the tractor is a small crack in the fiberglass hood,right at the end in the center over the grill.Was like that when purchased,its sound & not going anywhere.Gonna need a new muffler next year sometime I think,its the original far as I know.

Thistle said:
MasterMech said:

Parents bought it in 1985 if I remember.Its a 1975 model according to Owner's Manual.According to JD 110 website,the model was made from 1964-1974,the last year of the series was also the heaviest,at 775 pounds with 10HP Kohler cast iron engine & 38" mower deck.Its built like a tank.Just a great workhorse,plenty of power,just lacks traction sometimes on steep slopes if grass is wet or its muddy.Had to replace the gearshift knob & handle,a pulley w/ bearing undernearth the mower & a couple v-belts,the seat,new starter solenoid & a couple other small parts over the years,that's pretty much it though.The gas gauge with needle on the gas cap was barely working when they got it,all fogged over..Lens eventually fell out.Now to check fuel level I use a sliver of pine,3/8" wooden dowel or a flashlight on certain days.Cap is still closes tight & secure,just that cork bobble thingy is gone too.I'm too cheap to pay $35 + shipping for a NOS one :lol: Only real issue with the tractor is a small crack in the fiberglass hood,right at the end in the center over the grill.Was like that when purchased,its sound & not going anywhere.Gonna need a new muffler next year sometime I think,its the original far as I know.
Check out Weekendfreedommachines for info and history on old JD's like that.

I agree on beefing up the trailer....especially by the tailgate. Also, becareful with the really cheap dumping mechanism...mine split apart and I have to bolt it "down", which also has it own issue with the cheap thin steel. My biggest problem has been with my tires going flat under too much load. Then again, I pull mine behind the ATV and go too fast with a full load on a really bumpy driveway without any bearings on the wheels. Just the 1" axle through the bushings.

I would beef it up as well . . . but I would be more concerned about the tongue, axle and connection to the axle . . . on one trailer that I have that is simliar to this the trailer tipped and the tongue folded over like taffy . . . I now use this trailer for light yard work and have a beefed up trailer for use in the woods.

I have similar one. It is Cub cadet brand, but made by AgriFab. The light gauge metal does dent easily, but it is holding up ok so far.
1106101743a.jpg

My biggest issue has been the wheels and wheel bearings. the wheels that came with it are pretty thin sheet metal pressed into shape. I had two of the fail when the hubs just crushed and the bearings fell out.
0224111720.jpg

0501111707.jpg

I replaced the wheels with front wheels from an older Cub Cadet tractor. They are also for a 3/4" axle. Now the darn bearings are failing! I guess if I was harvesting Pine and not Black Locust I wouldn't be having these problems. I have to find a source for better bearings. The ones that are sold for the tractors are ball bearings, I would like to find some roller bearings, but I haven't seen the size I need yet. I have searched sites such a s McMaster-Carr with no luck so far.

firefighterjake said:
I would beef it up as well . . . but I would be more concerned about the tongue, axle and connection to the axle . . . on one trailer that I have that is simliar to this the trailer tipped and the tongue folded over like taffy . . . I now use this trailer for light yard work and have a beefed up trailer for use in the woods.
Yeah, if nothing else I think I MUST do something with the tongue. It's just too flimsy.

Status
Not open for further replies.