New Yorker Boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rancherii

May 29, 2008
Greene County NY
Anyone have experience on a New Yorker boiler WC-100? Based upon a first cost basis and price of oil would be better to go with this type of boiler or spend for gasification.

My dad had a WC-120 model he installed in the 70's oil crunch. It was a pretty good boiler. He only used it for a few years. It still is there and I am going to take it out to make space for a new oil boiler install. I may even try it this season as it can burn coal. The thing looks like new. He did have some creosote problems-mainly from lack of load on it. He had it modified to open up the flue passages. That seem to eliminate that problem by keeping the stack hotter and kept the passages from plugging. Just reading the forum here makes me realize he was ahead of his time. It is still a nice looking install. The WC-100 may be slightly different internally but the pictures of them look the same. I think by adding storage or at least not oversizing a non-gassifier to keep it burning hot is the way to go. I did like the forced draft fan to get fire going. Keep in mind you'll use more wood but it can burn coal. That may be a way to hedge your bet on fuel choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.