NEWB Alert!! With questions on wood burning insert??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BADMOFO

Oct 11, 2009
MiChIgAn
Hey All, This site is full of info and luv it. I have a question that i am sure has been covered over and over and i havent really searched for this.The million dollar question is can i install an insert without running pipe and cutting up my fireplace? I have a 12" x 12" clay liner and am putting in an older englander stove i picked up out the local paper. Is this safe to do ??? Reason being i dont want to cut up fireplace is if i dont like (If wife doesnt like it!!) that i can take insert out and still use fireplace and also when i go to sell my home it may be a turn off for potential buyers with an insert installed. So if u could give me your suggestions good or bad it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

BADMOFO :coolsmile:

At a minimum for code you need to install a stubby liner up past the smoke shelf and have a block off plate to seal the flue from the house. This may be possible without any modifications if you ovalize the liner a little and jam it through the damper.

There is some rule about the maximum sq inches of the flue compared to the stove outlet. If you stove is a 6" round outlet, the 12x12 may be too large to dump into. Someone will be along to give us all the math I'm sure.

Now... the proper way would be to install a fully insulated liner all the way to the top with a cap kit. This ensures maximum safety, optimal draft, and best stove performance. If you do have to cut out the damper to do this, its not a huge deal. If you ever want to remove the insert, you could get a lock-top damper and install it after the fact, in place of the old damper.

Besides all this, I'm not sure if you have a "stove" or an "insert" since you used both terms. Regardless, you need to find an install manual for this appliance and make sure you meet all specified clearances. For a stove venting into a fireplace you need to pay extra close attention to mantle and sidewall clearances.

This is called a 'slammer' or 'direct connect' install. You're right it's been discussed quite a bit, so feel free to search for those words. In general, you can expect lower performance, lower draft, dirtier burning, less safety factor as the flue plugs with creosote, etc.
Another major risk is you'll say 'this insert doesn't work worth a cent, I'm going back to the fireplace'- but you're just basing that opinion on the crappy performance of the direct connect.

If you experience a properly installed insert or stove as a true heating appliance, I don't see how anyone would go back to a fireplace. You can see just as much fire through a nice glass windowed insert as a fireplace, plus you're actually heating your home!

A couple of options: I don't know about code and legality in your area, I ran my insert as a slammer for one season. It was nice, but going to a fully lined flue made a big difference. So you may be able to just do the slammer. Second option would be to go ahead and work out some way to get through your fireplace damper - that has been discussed quite a bit, too. Third would be to just go ahead and run the full liner and experience the full performance and heat!

Good Luck!

I don't think you will be able to pull enough draft with that large of a flue.

The best advice anybody can give you is to download a copy of the owners manual so you can see if the insert can safely be installed to manufacturers specs. If you skip things like clearance to combustibles your insurance company may have a reason not to pay if something were to happen.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.