Newb need help moving a stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mushman

Mar 8, 2008
Long Island NY
I've had a Jotul F3cb for many years(great stove) it was installed by a local stove shop.I'm going to be redoing my floors, and I'd like to move the stove, and floor under it.
It's top vented and I cant figure out if the pipe needs to be removed from top to bottom.
I tried to undo the 2 bolts inside the stove at the base of the pipe, but I can't see how it will go down enough to give clearance for the pipe above it.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Give a little lift see if you have enough give. Does it go out the ceiling or the wall? If thimble, slide the stove forward if you can't get it out.
Chad

It goes straight out the top into a few sections of black pipe, then through the ceiling into 2 peices of 4' double lines stainless out the roof.
It's on a pad so I might be able to lift it and slide the pad out from under it,but it won't be an easy task, and it would only give me like 2 inches.
When I lossened up the screws I could see the pipe coming down a little, but nowhere near what I need.
I wasn't home when they did the install, but I guess they start at the bottom and work their way up, so to remove it would be from the top down is that right?.
Thanks for the quick reply.

Thanks for the slide forward idea chad.I removed the bolts holding the top on, and the ones holding the bottom flange and inched the whole thing forward till it undid itself.
I don't know how I'll get it back together, but at least I can redo the floor.
I guess it would be a good time to change out the gasket on the top also.Do I need any special type or size?.I also noticed the flange that connects the stove to the pipe had no stove cement, but the installation instructions call for it.Do I need to put some on?, I never had a problem without it, but now that I moved everything I'm wondering..

If your worried about it

www.rutland.com

they have a stove mortar mix that comes in a caulk gun tube that holds up for about a year
for around 3.99 & the have a 1200 deg F black silicone for 12.99 that last indefinately.

The 500 deg black silicone is only for pellet stoves . It is not high enough temp rating for a wood stove & should not be used for a wood stove but is ok in pellet stoves.

eernest4 said:
If your worried about it

www.rutland.com

they have a stove mortar mix that comes in a caulk gun tube that holds up for about a year
for around 3.99 & the have a 1200 deg F black silicone for 12.99 that last indefinately.

The 500 deg black silicone is only for pellet stoves . It is not high enough temp rating for a wood stove & should not be used for a wood stove but is ok in pellet stoves.

WOW 1200 degree silicone! I am going there to get that now!!! My dist sold me some 500 degree stuff, so far no problem buttttt........ I started using the cement and that seemed to flake off when used to seal gaps in pipe. My stack has never gone above 450, next year may be a different story with better wood!

Status
Not open for further replies.