Newb with install issues!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

krawlinyj

Nov 12, 2014
Flagstaff, AZ
Just got a new BK Princess Insert. I installed it myself and installed a new insulated flex chimney liner. My issue is we had been using the stove for a couple weeks already but noticed some smoke in the house this morning when putting in a new load of wood on the coal bed. I took of the surround and looked inside and the liner has soot buildup on the outside of it. Noticed the adapter to the stove is not seated all the way in the top of the stove. The portion that is not seated properly is NOT where the soot buildup is! Where the adapter is tight inside stove is where I am noticing the soot. I am assuming this is why I saw some smoke this morning. I plan on seating that adapter back in properly and screwing into place, any other suggestions?? By the way a flexible liner is NOT as flexible as I thought it would be!:p

you can see I put some furnace cement on there after initial install...it didnt last and I scraped most of it away this morning. In the pic you can see the soot on the liner.

We don't see a picture. As you found out, cement is worthless in this application. Is the liner in a bind? You typically need a 30 degree elbow to bring the flue back to vertical. Definitely screw it to the flue collar.

We don't see a picture. As you found out, cement is worthless in this application. Is the liner in a bind? You typically need a 30 degree elbow to bring the flue back to vertical. Definitely screw it to the flue collar.
Thats weird, I see the picture bigger than Dallas!! I am new to this forum so maybe I did something wrong. I had it lined up pretty good, it was a chore but I thought it was good?? The 30 degree elbow, does that go straight from the liner into the stove outlet?20141112_073818.jpg

Ive seen worse connections between a vent and appliance that didn't smoke. Did you masonry chimney pass the 10' 2' rule prior to putting the liner in?

So from what I read (if I understand it right), I should be good. I took a 10 ft pole and from the chimney to where it meets the roof is far below the peak of the roof and the chimney extends another 5'6" above that point.

The elbow attaches to the stove just like the appliance adaptor you are using. BKs princess insert has a 30 degree flue outlet, an elbow is used to line it up with the flue. I really don't see any reason for smoking though. It looks like you have the original cap, how did you terminate the liner? Are you sure it was wood smoke and not paint and oils burning from the new stove?

Status
Not open for further replies.