Newb with Q's: Best larger ZC Fireplace? Lennox Montecito (Estate), FP EX 36/44, BIS? etc

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodrow

Jan 13, 2012
Virginia
Hi everyone, new member here. I have been heating my house for 1.5 seasons now with my old (mid 90's) built in fireplace insert. Time for an upgrade to a larger, more modern unit. I have searched online pretty intensely looking for what I think I want and for now have settled on the three or so options above (but still open to suggestions). I really like the Montecito Estate because of its looks, ample size, efficiency and no expensive cat to replace. But in researching it and reading all that I could on this forum (using search function), I'm somewhat confused about making the right choice. It seems many forum members have spoken so highly of the Fireplace Extrordinair 44 Elite it's hard to choose anything but that unit. I like the way it looks, almost as much as the Montecito with nickel trim, and it's certainly big with a lot of capacity. But offhand I'm not a big fan of a catalytic converter due to its cost and need for periodic replacement (even if once every 7 years or so).

But the more I read and the more I learn it seems the cat machines may actually be cheaper in the long run than the non-cat machines. Apparently the cat allows you to turn the air down for a long slow burn at night, saving wood (and during the day as well, if desired). As the cat burns the smoke, the flammable gases that otherwise would escape unburned up the flu creates a second source of heat (other than the primary flame). So this means the amount of wood you need to produce the same amount of heat is significantly reduced. Which directly means:

(1) You spend less time shuttling wood in and out of the house and into the firebox.

(2) You spend less time and hard labor cutting, splitting, transporting and stacking firewood because you need less each year than you otherwise would. This directly means you also save money on the associated expenses in transportation, logsplitter and chainsaw maintenance/depreciation (for cutting your own wood) AND/OR saving you money that you would have to pay someone else to deliver the pre-cut wood to you (about $175 cord in my area).

(3) Since the cat system burns so clean, almost no creosote is deposited on your flu liner, theoretically meaning you would need your chimney serviced/cleaned less often - possibly cutting your chimney cleaning expenses in half or better(?).

Combining these money saving advantages (not even accounting for your labor savings), I can very easily see where this could save a couple thousand dollars for a person who uses a fireplace to heat a house of approx 2300 sqft (with minimal heat pump usage) over the lifespan of a catalytic converter, which apparently last on average about 7 years(?). And from what I can tell, a new cat costs about $500 to replace (in today's dollars, I'm sure due to inflation and the precious metals within them they'll be more later). So doing the math it seems the addition of a cat even though it is costly to replace, is well worth it in the long run (not even considering environmental concerns). This is what I "think" I've learned reading the archived messages on this forum. Please correct me if I'm wrong or have gone down the wrong path here.

So the natural question that arises after this cat revelation: are the more efficient non-cat fireplaces like the Montecito with the secondary burn chamber comparable to the cat machines in heat output? And what about the slow burn mode where the oxygen supply is restricted? Will this tend to gunk up the stove and flu in a way that would warrant much more frequent professional cleanings? What do you think about the long term cost/benefit scenario of the better non-cat machines compared to the catalytic machine as described above?

And what about the newer Extrordinair Elite 36? That looks like a nice size fireplace, perhaps more appropriate for my needs than the bigger 44. I know it's newer though, any feedback on these units yet? And I cant seem to find pricing on any of these units online. How much can I look forward to paying for one of these fireplaces? Thanks in advance for any and all help. I'm kind of in a mad rush to get this figured out, as I have to tell my contractor which model I want pretty soon.

If you been heating 2300/sqft. with your fireplace, how many cords of wood do you go thru? I can only imagine you'll burn less wood due to better efficiency, get better heat output, and any $$$ issues with cat replacement will easily be recouped because you won't have to buy as much. Also, I've feel safer in my house with the stove than burning with an fireplace. When I ripped out my POS ZC fireplace, I couldn't believe how charred the "innards " were, where I would not have expected that to occur. Anyway, I'm sure both stove will be great for you.

Reason's I got the FPX:
1.) It's a beast, I love the heat and wifey looked the gold face!
2.) Remotely located blower so I don't even hear the fan blowing and no visible cords to distract the view. I dunno how peeps put up with those squirrel cages buzzing away, I'm a stickler for peace-n-quiet and only want to hear sounds that I choose to hear.

Thanks FPX dude, glad to hear you like your 36 Elite. That seems like a really good size and I also really like the remote fan for the reasons cited. And I don't usually heat all 2300 sqft with my old fireplace/stove. I usually close off several of the bedrooms and the lower level (3 level house). This traps the heat in approx 1200 sqft of area and it works well for that amount of space (even though it's not very efficient). For this area I burned about 3 cords last year. My house is well proportioned for a larger central fireplace because of the big open area with vaulted ceilings the fireplace is in. Plus the return vent for the HVAC is on the upper level in the hallway that adjoins the great room, so it's really arranged well for using the HVAC fan to circulate the heat to other rooms.

I have a Montecito (not an Estate) which I am very happy with. 7-8 hr burn times, efficient, easy to run, looks good. Estate is probably similar but bigger.

Thanks for the response LIJack. I read all of your earlier posts about the Montecito using the search feature. I'm considering the regular Montecito like you have, but am thinking I should opt for the bigger unit. I kind of wish they had a size between the two, the regular Montecito has a 2 cuft firebox and the Estate has double that size. I wanted something larger than 2 cuft, but 4cuft seems like wood gobbling overkill. 3 cuft seems more reasonable. How much space do you heat with your unit? If you turn it down for an all night burn does it get smokey and leave deposits? I'm trying to decide between a catalyst unit and a comparable high efficiency non-cat like the Montecito. I like how the cat models can burn efficiently when set to low burn mode, plus leaving minimal deposits while doing so. How clean burning is your stove? Any sense of how often chimney needs to be cleaned?

I'm heating 3600 sf, open floorplan with a big open central staircase, high ceilings, skylights, etc. The Montecito will reduce the amount of furnace cycling but will not carry the house by itself unless it's over 40 outside. If I turn it down it'll provide probably 5-6 hours of useful heat and 7-8 hours with decent coals to reload. Will get a little bit of corner deposits on the glass, run this way. I clean the chimney annually, but am considering getting a Sooteater and doing a mid-season clean. In my application, if I was doing it again I'd get the Estate. Lennox also makes cat units, such as the Ladera, but I have no experience with them.

I have the FPX. It looks great, is built very well, puts out a TON of heat... and once the CAT is going - no smoke at all. Downside it uses a lot of wood. Everyone has a different theory on burn times. For me I end up loading every three hours for max heat output. It will keep coals for much longer, but the heat output drops fairly quickly.

If your wood is dry, and you don't choke the fire too much there is very little in the way of chimney cleaning needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.