Newbie Fireplace Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

vicuna

Dec 30, 2021
USA
Have been binge reading your forum. Thank you for all the great info!!

Would love some guidance on this. I don't even know who to call or where to start. Looks like this fireplace was made in 1985 and I can't find a manual.

This fireplace has two vents that come up to the side of the fireplace. There are two slider things...how do I figure out what they each do?

Also it looks like there are no blowers or anything else. Is that something I should look into getting for heat production?

I made two fires already and neither of them significantly heated the house - I had the glass doors closed.

Thank you!

IMG-8037.JPGIMG-8041.JPGIMG-8042.JPGIMG-8038.JPGIMG-8039.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an old Heatilator ZC Prefab from 1983. Puts out little heat too. Would love to put in a new high efficiency zero clearance fireplace, but have to redo brick and hearth. I am doing a cost analysis, how much i could save per year for the cold months we do have, so i could recoup some of the investment. I figure it's a losing proposition for me. but i love to burn stuff. Maybe save $200-$400 per year in NG costs to be generous. I am looking at $7k-10k, but it will add value to the house in the future. Looking at Osburn, Valcourt, Hearthstone. Maybe in 2-3 years i will be able to start this project, since i just got a new furnace last year that needs payoff first. Working on attic insulation right now instead, much cheaper, only $600 and will also save me $200 a year in utilities.

It's a pre-EPA fireplace. Moving to the classics forum where there are some more BIS 1 threads.

The front air controls admit air to the fire on the left and right sides. If the fireplace has an outside air connection there is a control in that area on the left below the ashlip. It looks like your fireplace has no fans. I'm not sure if it was ordered that way or someone took them out.

Here is a link to the BIS 1.2 manual.

Last edited:
Reactions: vicuna
Do a search on BIS in the title only in this forum to find threads discussing this ZC fireplace. Here's an example.

I have an old Heatilator ZC Prefab from 1983. Puts out little heat too. Would love to put in a new high efficiency zero clearance fireplace, but have to redo brick and hearth. I am doing a cost analysis, how much i could save per year for the cold months we do have, so i could recoup some of the investment. I figure it's a losing proposition for me. but i love to burn stuff. Maybe save $200-$400 per year in NG costs to be generous. I am looking at $7k-10k, but it will add value to the house in the future. Looking at Osburn, Valcourt, Hearthstone. Maybe in 2-3 years i will be able to start this project, since i just got a new furnace last year that needs payoff first. Working on attic insulation right now instead, much cheaper, only $600 and will also save me $200 a year in utilities.

thank you for replying. Sounds like a total no-go mathematically. :(

Curious: How did you come up with $200-$400 per year for your savings number?

Did you look into adding a blower or something else to improve efficiency without a full replacement? Is that (or something else) an option for us to improve efficiency without a full replacement?

I have my utility data, both natural gas and electric in a spreadsheet. Checking therm usage, only 4 months is when they raise the price to winter rates, $0.1126 per therm i think. Think I average ~150 therm per month. Saving based on that usage rate. It will raise my house value, so I will definitely do this upgrade regardless of utility savings. I did replace the old axial fans i had with quiet tangential fans that move more air, but its still not much, but at least quiet. Adding attic insulation will save me anyways, trying to get to R49, its a messy project. I dont like the air cooled chimney I have, easier right now to just not use it, save my wood, and save for the upgrade. This old ZC is probably what 10-20% efficient at best. I use a ton of wood for not much heat. Neightbor has a large oak coming down next year, hope to get some rather than let company take away. Let it season.

I have my utility data, both natural gas and electric in a spreadsheet. Checking therm usage, only 4 months is when they raise the price to winter rates, $0.1126 per therm i think. Think I average ~150 therm per month. Saving based on that usage rate. It will raise my house value, so I will definitely do this upgrade regardless of utility savings. I did replace the old axial fans i had with quiet tangential fans that move more air, but its still not much, but at least quiet. Adding attic insulation will save me anyways, trying to get to R49, its a messy project. I dont like the air cooled chimney I have, easier right now to just not use it, save my wood, and save for the upgrade. This old ZC is probably what 10-20% efficient at best. I use a ton of wood for not much heat. Neightbor has a large oak coming down next year, hope to get some rather than let company take away. Let it season.

do you think the fans were worthwhile? looks like it'll be ~$250 plus having an electrician come out and run electric there.

tyty

Compared to the old axial fans my system had, absolutely. Does yours have a fan option? Maybe wish I had gone one size larger and gotten the 9" fans, these were 7" and it was a tight squeeze. I already had electric for this fireplace. I put in proper rheostat wall switch with speed control. Any new fireplace will have new blowers anyways. My firebox is fine, its the chimney cap that is not worthwhile. With how inefficient it is, I have to load wood every 30-45 minutes, more of an aesthetic. I'll just wait to replace it now, and think about whether a stove would work for me. I dont want to have to fiddle with settings too much.

20210130_130547.jpg 20210113_175116.jpg