Newbie: Harmon room temp sensor question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marsha Cook

Nov 17, 2013
NH
Very new. My new home came with a Harmon P61 (not the "A"). I have purchased a new temp probe and am learning how to regulate it. The probe sensor end is not on the floor and not in a draft. The stove is set at 70. All seems to go well and after a while the fire goes out.

Here is the question, how low does the temp have to go before the stove kicks back on?

I have learned many things by reading the posts and stickies but cannot get this one figured out. Seems to get pretty cold before it starts.

Thanks for your help.

Very new. My new home came with a Harmon P61 (not the "A"). I have purchased a new temp probe and am learning how to regulate it. The probe sensor end is not on the floor and not in a draft. The stove is set at 70. All seems to go well and after a while the fire goes out.

Here is the question, how low does the temp have to go before the stove kicks back on?

I have learned many things by reading the posts and stickies but cannot get this one figured out. Seems to get pretty cold before it starts.

Thanks for your help.
Are you running it on room temp or stove temp? It's not an "A", does it have an igniter?
BTW, it's HarmAn.

The missing "A" can go in HarmAn :p

I think your answer is 2 degrees below your temp setting.

Does have auto ignite, which works very well.

As of right now the temp in the room has gone down 5 degrees since the stove went out. Getting to cold to keep watching so will probably turn the room temp dial up soon.

Does have auto ignite, which works very well.

As of right now the temp in the room has gone down 5 degrees since the stove went out. Getting to cold to keep watching so will probably turn the room temp dial up soon.
I could be wrong but if it has an igniter, it's an "A". I'll ask again, are you running the stove in room temp or stove temp mode on the control panel? Does it have a manual/automatic toggle switch on the board?

Reactions: Lousyweather
Dont all newer Harman's come with an ESP, which regulates temp to within 1 degree? My XXV would hardly shut off on the colder days, opting to a low flame most of the time (even in auto ignite). Something is a miss if the stove is dipping 5+ degrees before starting back up. Where is the temp probe located?

The OP stated her house came with the stove, so it's likely an older model. P61 no auto ignite. P61A auto ignite. Harman sold both for a while. Fairly sure the auto ignite versions always had the A suffix, but maybe not.

The sensor she's referring to is the room temp sensor, not the ESP.

Sounds like it's in auto mode if the stove is shutting down...unless we have a problem.

Depending on the sensor location, she could be experiencing a 5 degree drop.

Marsha, have you tried moving the probe a bit? Try not to tuck it behind something. Also, a small fan blowing back towards the stove/sensor may help quite a bit. It'll circulate the heat more evenly, and also usually allow the sensor to read more accurately.

Harman really needs to provide a longer sensor wire, especially on the higher output stoves.

Last edited:
The OP stated her house came with the stove, so it's likely an older model. P61 no auto ignite. P61A auto ignite. Harman sold both for a while. Fairly sure the auto ignite versions always had the A suffix, but maybe not.

The sensor she's referring to is the room temp sensor, not the ESP.

Sounds like it's in auto mode if the stove is shutting down...unless we have a problem.

Depending on the sensor location, she could be experiencing a 5 degree drop.

Marsha, have you tried moving the probe a bit? Try not to tuck it behind something. Also, a small fan blowing back towards the stove/sensor may help quite a bit. It'll circulate the heat more evenly, and also usually allow the sensor to read more accurately.

Harman really needs to provide a longer sensor wire, especially on the higher output stoves.
She said in post number 4 above that it had auto ignite...that is why I'm asking the questions that I am.....

She said in post number 4 above that it had auto ignite...that is why I'm asking the questions that I am.....
I see. My last post also had inaccuracies based on auto/non auto ignite assumptions.

Disregard the first paragraph in post #8. I'll see if I can edit it without causing confusion.

Thanks for the help. The manual says it is a P61A-2,so I was in error on the model. It does have auto ignite.

I moved the probe. Also switched to manual ignite once it starts so the fire does not go out. That little flame seems to make enough diff for me.

It does seem the temp has to drop between 5 & 7 degrees before the auto ignite kicks in.

Thanks for the help. The manual says it is a P61A-2,so I was in error on the model. It does have auto ignite.

I moved the probe. Also switched to manual ignite once it starts so the fire does not go out. That little flame seems to make enough diff for me.

It does seem the temp has to drop between 5 & 7 degrees before the auto ignite kicks in.
Have you tried it since moving the probe, or is this from before the move?

Hmm. Mine has been off all day (manual shutdown) but I switched it to auto and turned it on. I'll keep an eye on when she fires up and report back.

Went from 73 to 70 on the stat....so 3 degrees, in my case. I will say a 3 degree drop feels like a fairly decent difference in temp.

Thanks for letting me know. Today I was more careful in my measurements. It is 5 degrees but as you noted, that really makes a difference in how you feel the temp. Learning about this stove is a real adventure!

Status
Not open for further replies.