Newbie here

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TJC

Jan 13, 2013
Lancaster, NH
So we decided that we are going to put in a pellet stove. I started the research on line ((how I ended up here) to learn something about them.
We also have 2 stove stores within 15 minutes of the house so I visited them both.

Anyway, I have narrowed the choices to 3, I think. LOL

Enviro M55
Harman XXV
Avalon Astoria (large 1)

I would like opinions, info both good and bad, efficiency about these etc.

I realize now that buying a pellet stove is like buying a car. Everyone sells the best, who's is more efficient etc so I'm going to you guys/gals that have them and the experience with them.

The prices I have received put them all close. The Harman and the Avalon are in pkgs which include install, all piping, floor pad and a ton of premium pellets. The Enviro is a bit more and everything is seperate but that's not scaring me off as the price is still within our range.

Use will be:
Heat the ManCave which is the finished basement and the living area (open design with loft) of the 1st floor through the use of the stairway and likely 3 floor registers.

Thanks for any suggestions, opinions and help.

Tom

I've been using a XXV to heat the first floor of my contemporary colonial for the past year and a half. It cranks heat, it's been a problem free unit, and it keeps the oil man at bay. Last winter I burned three tons, and I'm on about the same pace for this "winter." I love the stove.

Welcome Tom:

I don't think you could go wrong with any of those stoves. I got the M55 a couple of months ago and love it. The electric heat in my house hasn't been on once since the stove was installed. I give it a good cleaning once a week and keep the hopper full, and it works like a charm. I'm thinking about getting a smaller stove for my finished basement.

-Aq

Put the stove where you want the heat.

Which ever stove you get make certain all of the manufacturer's changes have been made to it (do not assume the stove you get is the most recent version, warehouses and distribution channels etc...).

Make certain it can handle the heat loss it has to with a margin for being off for cleaning, maintenance, and record cold at your location.

Do not assume you can place the stove where ever you wish and then just run vent pipe to it. It doesn't work that way, code (building, fire, electrical), cold harsh laws of exhaust gas flows and convection air circulation place real constraints on what one may or should do.

If you aren't planing on doing all of your maintenance and cleaning yourself, make certain you check out the dealers and their staff even more than the stove you are looking at.

Reactions: schoondog
Harman's are probably the easiest stove to maintain, although I'm not that familiar with the XXV. The P series are pretty straightforward. The best part about Hatman's is you don't have to worry about seeting the draft, trim, select pellet type, etc.

But doen't listen to me, I'm prejudiced.

Smokey Great Advice ! Also Im with SubSailor on this one Ive had a Bixby then in my store a Harman P61 and now a Harman XXV in my Home wouldnt change a thing ! In my opinion they are the easest to maintain and run super good !

I am familiar with the Astoria, having had one. I will say that that stove ran flawlessly for me.....never had even one problem. LOVED the huge 120lb hopper, gave great heat, and cleaning it was a breeze.

Living room install in my ranch makes for cooler bedrooms( good sleeping).
Seems to me a basement install would complicate matters. Even if mine was finished not sure how I would get the heat upstairs effectively without some considerable effort. Besides I don't think I would enjoy the stove as much.
I will get another stove for the basement when the time comes.

Read what Smokey said twice!

So far XXV has been great. Easy to take care of and doesn't seem to care much about what you feed it.

Thanks all, some good info and reviews. Still not sure if
we will go with the XXV or the M55. Have to wait and
see what kind of deal the guy will give on the M55.
Should hear from him tomorrow.

Spock,
Issue I have is we use the Man Cave a lot at night for TV.
But we have the 1st floor where the kit/LR/DR are and we
spend time there too. So I am hoping the stairway and
the registers will provide enough rising heat to keep that
area comfortable too. We don't like a real warm house so
I hope to accomplish what we are looking for with the
stove.

Check the videos on your selected stove of thier cleaning rituals and frequency. Make the right choice now and enjoy putting the screws to OPEC.

Reactions: Eatonpcat
Pretty sure you'll be kind a warm down in the man cave to get enough heat upstairs. The warmer you like it upstairs the warmer it will be by the stove. Hopefully you can get the air to circulate without roasting down there.

Dealer service is more important than the little bit of money you save. Make sure you pick the one that will take the best care of you. These stove manufacturers don't deal with the customers, You need the dealer to handle warranty claims.

You didn't mention how much area you plan to heat with it, Be sure you have more than enough or you won't be pleased with the unit once the cold sets in. Try to stay on the larger size as its good insurance. Keep us posted!

Thanks all.

Spock,
Issue I have is we use the Man Cave a lot at night for TV.
But we have the 1st floor where the kit/LR/DR are and we
spend time there too. So I am hoping the stairway and
the registers will provide enough rising heat to keep that
area comfortable too. We don't like a real warm house so
I hope to accomplish what we are looking for with the
stove.

I see what your saying. I just got this feeling to keep the upper rooms comfortable, the basement won't be unless it's planned very carefully. Members here may have successfully implementations. Might want to dig a little deeper before making a final placement decision.

Pending on your AV equipment you may want to isolate the stove because of the heat and fan noise of the stove in a seperate room but have a door open to it. My AV equipment puts out enough heat to warm things when running. Little older plasma 350 watts, Audio 300 + and thats about the low setting of a portable heater.

My wife and I bought a Harman XXV 3 years ago. It was a lot of money, but besides buying our house, it has been the best money ever spent. Beautiful stove, runs smoothly and will keep your house warm. We have a 2500+ sq ft house and it keeps the two heat pumps turned off all winter.

Our bedroom is upstairs, and to get to it you take 2 right turns. So, to make my wife happy we have a small cheap $40 space heater there. I am comfortable with the place at 72 degrees, but she likes it warmer!

You will NOT regret the XXV. But, do what is best for you. We bought ours, got a tax rebate and paid it off with tax money. We now own it and aren't paying almost $400 a month to be cold. Pellets keep us much warmer at $200 a ton! We save money each year because of our stove.

Good luck!

(I like the design of the pellet being pushed forward by harman, vs. it dropping and clinking like other stoves. But that might not bother you like me.

I'm with JT...Dealer support is very important. You're looking at top of the line stoves, so pick the one the wife likes best!

Status
Not open for further replies.