Newbie needs help with non-flush wood insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jgaloski

Jan 28, 2018
RI
hi everyone,
Newbie to this site, which has been really informative.

Bought a quadrifire grand voyager insert to replace an ancient insert in a home I bought 3 years ago. When the installer finished the insert, with its surround stick out about 5 inches from being flush. Installer said he would have a steel box made to close the gap. He said no big deal, should take a week or 2. Monday will be 4 weeks. Starting to think about what my options are if the installer falls through. Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1807.JPG
    IMG_1807.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 332
  • IMG_1808.JPG
    IMG_1808.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 328
That's a pretty big gap. Was this a dealership installer or did you contract him independently? What will be done about the hearth? It's quite short of requirement.

Going to get a hearth pad to address the hearth issue. Installer was recommended by the dealer. Dimensions should have worked, but the back of fireplace sort of A-framed up, preventing the insert from going any further back. Love everything about the insert, but that gap is an eyesore

Did the installer suggest carving out the rear brick a little to reduce the protrusion into the room? Have you contacted the dealer to get them to lean on the installer?

Never suggested carving out the rear. Would have been a nice option. I can contact the dealer tomorrow. Have called the installer twice without a call back. Kind of feeling a little lost at the moment.

Yes, that has to be frustrating. Bring the side view picture into the dealer. The installer could have at least ground out some of the brick to make this a better fit. Did you pay by check of credit card?

Did the dealer come out to your house and take the measurements and recommend this insert, or did you take your own measurements into the dealer?

Brought my dimensions in. Fireplace would fit flush if it wasn't for the brick in the back of the fireplace arching inwards. Is that something that could be corrected and solve the whole problem?

There is a good 3 inches of space behind the back of the insert.

Well if someone is able to get it to go back three inches somehow, it will still be sticking out two inches. I don't know where the responsibility lies since you brought your own measurements in. I know this does not give you an answer how to fix it. Maybe others can give their opinions on who is at fault for recommending a insert that won't fit. So you know how to confront the dealer.

Can you post the measurements that you took into the dealer so others can determine if the dealer sold you the wrong size insert.

If the insert can go back 3" measuring the bottom it looks like the dealer sold you the wrong insert because it would still be sticking out 2", so maybe you have some pull there.

The dimensions that I brought were 31Hx37.5Wx18D. The aspects working against me are that the Grand Voyager exhaust is on the back part of the top and my fireplace is a modern fireplace with the firebrick in the back curved. I was not aware of the curve in the firebrick when I measured. You are right, I will still be off by 2 inches and the whole goal was to have a flush insert.

The dimensions that I brought were 31Hx37.5Wx18D. The aspects working against me are that the Grand Voyager exhaust is on the back part of the top and my fireplace is a modern fireplace with the firebrick in the back curved. I was not aware of the curve in the firebrick when I measured. You are right, I will still be off by 2 inches and the whole goal was to have a flush insert.

Don't be so hard on yourself because I did not notice that the brick slanted forward on my fireplace either, newbie mistake. Of course the dealer is going to blame you, but like I mentioned it still won't fit with the measurements you brought in so you might have that on your side. begreen will be back to follow up so will others, hang in there.

Thanks for the encouraging words. I wouldn't be against just going with a different stove but I'm sure that would be s battle with the dealer. They do have a really good reputation around here though

Also, just to add one last piece. The hearth is 18 inches, so a flush install meets the necessary requirements.

It shows you need 18-1/4" so it should fit if the bricks did not slant forward.
IMG_1941.PNG IMG_1942.PNG

Yeah, knew it was going to be super tight, but numbers seemed to work. Bricks screwed everything up. Not sure of solution. Correct bricks or change insert?

My opinion is that a dealer knew it was a brick fireplace and should be experienced enough to question the depth and also know the bricks slant forward, so hopefully he will work something out and make it right. You did not mention if he installed a new liner or used the existing liner, or do you have a liner.

Reactions: Woody Stover
The math does not add up, if your saying the insert can go back 3" and you have 5" sticking out then the depth measurement can't be 18". I would measure the side depth again if you can get a tape measure back there just to confirm. I just measured my fireplace and the center is two inches deeper than the sides, maybe you measured in the center and that why your missing two inches.

You are right. I was measuring along the top of the insert, where the bricks begin to arch in. Along the bottom the depth is 18 inches. I feel like the writing is on the wall here that the insert will have to be changed. With such a large investment I just don't think I can look at it sticking out 5 inches everyday.

Give your thread a few days, there are professionals on here that can help you. They will chime in.

hi everyone,
Newbie to this site, which has been really informative.

Bought a quadrifire grand voyager insert to replace an ancient insert in a home I bought 3 years ago. When the installer finished the insert, with its surround stick out about 5 inches from being flush. Installer said he would have a steel box made to close the gap. He said no big deal, should take a week or 2. Monday will be 4 weeks. Starting to think about what my options are if the installer falls through. Any help/advice would be appreciated.
You could add a veneer over the existing brick, enough to fill the gap. It'd add some additional thermal mass, too. Lots of options to make it look however you want.