Newbie question on thru wall installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Deisel

Nov 2, 2017
pa
I have a pdv 25 and have been burning for about 4 year now with the stove in an unfinished basement with soso results. I have finally talked the wife into moving the stove upstairs into the dinning room . I live in an old brick and plaster twin house. the question I have is , do I need to use a thimble to go thru the brick and plaster wall or can I just core a hole and run the double wall vent pellet vent pipe out . when it was in the basement I just ran the pipe thru the brick but there was no plaster to deal with. any help woul be great

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you need a thimble to maintain clearance to combustibles.

Mikkeeh he is going thru brick and plaster. Are you thinking there are combustibles in gaps between the plaster and brick? I would think he would be fine but I could be overlooking something here.

Old plaster is usually over wood lath. That stuff ignites easily. Most local codes...and insurance companies, require a thimble when penetrating anything othet than masonry. Just my opinion.

Old plaster is usually over wood lath. That stuff ignites easily. Most local codes...and insurance companies, require a thimble when penetrating anything othet than masonry. Just my opinion.
Yep your right . Forgot about the lath