Newbie question, or two

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

simpleton

Oct 21, 2010
Upstate SC
Ok, after a month of seeking advice, internet searches and a couple technicians coming out, my wife and I have settled on a dealer we are comfortable with and ready to install. Short story, 108 year old house, 2100 sq ft. What we feel is the most trustworthy installer has informed us our chimney is unsafe and not usable. We are going with a free standing wood stove, and he will run a "triple wall" stainless pipe straight out through the roof. We feel the price for all materials and labor is fair enough. Question '(s), thoughts on this method of venting stove versus relining the chimney, which isn't an option (but were told by another company it was, for 2 grand) and radiant heat versus a stove with a blower. 108 year old house, one story, pretty open floor plan, ceiling fans in all rooms. Thanks in advance.

First off welcome to the forum !!!!

2100 single story you want stove centralized IMHO if you are using it for main heat source. Venting stove through roof always works. Trip. wall pipe is not a bad idea. Maybe a good idea with such an old structure.

How often are you going to use the stove, is it just for the occasional chilly nights, or is it for the ambiance? You are in SC so I am unsure how cold it gets. With that size house a blower will help move the air if it to be used as a heat source.

There is more to it than type of stove. Which units were you looking at specificaly ??

Hey Simple. Very patient of you to spend a month doing research(more on that later). With your size home, with one floor, in your neck of the woods........there are still alot of variables.However, since you have decided to go with a free standing stove(nice), you now know that those "triple-insulated" pipes are boku $$$. That being said, depending on the level of deterioration of your chimney, it very well be the smartest(and cheapest) way to go. It sounds as if youve done your homework with choosing your installer/dealer and method of heating. Now you should make sure you choose the right SIZE and model of stove for your application. P.S.- back to patience- being the thorough researcher you are, surely you know that you must burn only well-seasoned wood in your eventual-new stove. PLAN AHEAD. Just b/c firewood dealers advertise "seasoned firewood", doesnt mean they actually sell it. :) .....and welcome to the fun!

Well, without starting a firestorm of debate, we are kind of limited in stove brand choice. The only dealer close enough to us to sell, install and warranty carries Buck and VC. VC is not in the budget, but we were kinda leaning towards a Dutchwest 2479 (big one, non cat). Installer, who was out today, recomended Buck model 81. This guy has been with this company for 31 years. He installed my grandparents Buck in mid '80s. Actually, this is the only dealer within 70 miles that installs their stoves, everyone else refered us to a "contractor". This will be the main heat source. We like the looks of the Dutchwest (cast) but he says Buck with the blower will move air better. Stove will be centrally located in the house, and our evening time will be spent in an adjacent room. I don't like the idea of listening to a blower do it's thing and wife don't care as long as we are warm and the gas bill doesn't run $350 a month like it has. I've had split white and red oak, about 5-6 cords, since last year. I supply my folks lake cabin with wood. Thanks again.

I like the looks of cast much better than steel (sorry Bart) but I'd take a Buck over a VC these days. Just curious, did the dealer mention the 80 model as well, or are you set on a non-cat? (Or is the dealer, like most dealers, set on non-cats?)

I got more "non-cat" votes than cat after my research. It's like asking 20 people and getting 20 different answers. We kinda let it come down to price, so non-cat got the vote. Please don't persuade me to go to a cat stove, I don't want to start over! Oh yeah, the model 80 would need an 8" flue, which further drove up the install price. So what about the radiant versus blower stove? Thanks!

I believe triple wall really not necessary. Good quality insulated dbl. wall would be fine and save a little money.

Buck stoves are certainly great quality and reputaion.

Chunk, after a 2 grand quote for shoving a "flexible" pipe down this old chimney, the triple wall pipe price and install was a welcome site. To be honest, Buck model 81, triple wall pipe and installation comes in at a few hundred under our budget. Like I said, I like the Dutchwest looks better, and I believe it is alot cheaper, but we need to be warm as bad as we want to look good doing it.

Sounds like you are ready with wood. In your situation my unprofessional thoughts would be to go with the blower. It will move the air, which yo will need with 2100 on one level, if it were 2 story I would still go with a blower unit but it is less needed. I currently do not have a blower, (I am ordering it) for my stove. I have 2000 give or take square feet, the stove room gets quite toasty to maintain the upper floor. A blower will move more air and mix the air upstairs more. In your case it is a matter of the out lying rooms. Since this will be a main source go with a blower. Some noise may suck but the warmth is worth the noise.

Sounds like you are gathering as much info as you can prior to jumping into the deep end. Good for you !!!!

As far as pipe, you would most likely do well with insulated double, as said prior trip pipe is a bit of an overkill, or so it sounds, unless you need it for local ordinances and code.

Other than that, you sound to be in good shape. Burn well, broken grasshopper......

Of the two choices . . . Buck or VC . . . I would go with the Buck and not the VC/Dutchwest stoves . . . not because the Bucks look better . . . I actually like the look of the VC/Dutchwest stoves . . . but rather for VC's recent past . . . perhaps someday soon these issues will be resolved . . . until then it seems as though there are still a lot of folks here who have had issues with warrantees not honored, expensive parts and parts failing way too early.

I would definitely go with a blower, it really does help move the heat, and you still get the same radiant heat, and you can always turn the blower off if you are sitting near the stove and it is bothering you. You will probably find that you will get so used to the blower you won't really even notice it.

Also if I was choosing between a buck and a vc I would go with the buck. When I was shopping around last year I was in a shop that sold vc and several other brands and the salesman actually recommended to stay away from vc due to quality issues and warranty issues, and dutchwest is a lower level line of vc I believe, so in my opinion I would avoid them, you are spending too much money to worry about those things. I have no experience with buck other than knowing some people that have them, but they seem to make a good product and have an. Honest reputation.

simpleton said:
I got more "non-cat" votes than cat after my research. It's like asking 20 people and getting 20 different answers. We kinda let it come down to price, so non-cat got the vote. Please don't persuade me to go to a cat stove, I don't want to start over! Oh yeah, the model 80 would need an 8" flue, which further drove up the install price. So what about the radiant versus blower stove? Thanks!

I have no idea why you would go "Cat" - all you get with the thing is longer burn times, less wood use and more controlled heat. Just saying....

Really,really, REALLY appreciate all the advice and help. We are going today to pick out the stove and pay for everything. Now, if they (dealer) just follows through and does what they said they would and does it right, we should be set. Again, THANKS!

~*~vvv~*~ said:
old house can be drafty from the N side due to winter winds. old saying= dont try to heat house from the S side

Prevailing winter winds from most storm lows here are from the SW.

Status
Not open for further replies.