1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

newbie question: smell from stove or smell from pellets?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by CD2011, Oct 17, 2011.

1. CD2011

CD2011 Member

Loc:
    Massachusetts
    I read another thread about the smell when a new stove is first used, and veteran pellet stove users said the smell would go away after some use.

My question is: Is there a smell from the pellets? Like there is a smell from burning wood, do pellets give off an odor?

My Harmon P43 has been igniting a few times a day, on a low setting, and the smell seems to be getting less and less, which I am guessing is the "new stove" smell going away, but am wondering about the pellets.

Sorry if this question seems ridiculous, especially to you veteran pellet users, but I want to learn!!

thanks!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    Pellets are wood, how ever unless you are in the habit of manually lighting your stove and keep the door open too long there should never be a wood smoke smell in your house. Outside near the vent (make sure your windows near the vent close tightly and aren't open) you will get a wood smoke smell when the stove starts up.

Now about first burn, if you can that should really be done outside otherwise you'll get a paint curing smell and any oils that may be on the outside of the stove will evaporate causing additional smells.

If you smell wood smoke in the house you need to go leak hunting.