Newbie Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hizelks

Nov 21, 2016
Rogers, MN
I'm trying to learn as much as I can before I install my wood burning stove in this winter. Curious about some things that I can't seem to find answers to.

I'm I am going to build up a hearth on the cement basement about 3-4 inches can I make up a base with:
1. wood 2x4s, cement board and slate
2. cement pour the slate or
3. sandwich cement board

The current chimney was only used by the previous owner with a wood burner. The flue opening is clay lined 7.25in square. Is it even worth my time trying to get a wrapped 6" liner down it? Is 5.5" liner acceptable? Or should I scrap the idea and just run new pipe elsewhere?

There are obvious codes about chimney heights and restrictions. The one thing I can't find is do inspectors consider an existing chimney as part of the distance (or part of the building) if I were to run new pipe a few feet away from an existing not used chimney? Or should I run the pipe within a few feet and then remove chimney brick to lower it's height since it's not in use? I want the stove to be in a similar spot as the previous chimney so I might need some diagonals to get some distance away from the current chimney.

Sorry, these questions are probably pretty basic and maybe not very clear.
I attached a pic of the wall opening.

Thanks for an responses though

Attachments

• Newbie Questions
    IMG_0323.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 110
  • Newbie Questions
    IMG_0327.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 95
Welcome. What stove will this be for? That may affect hearth design. In the least you'll want a sheet of 3/4" plywood under the cement board for stiffness.

According to the manual:
Unit must be placed on a noncombustible floor protection equivalent to 1” millboard. Floor protector must have min. R value of 1.19. Consult your local building authorities for further information.

A single sheet of Durock NexGen cement board is R=.39. It would take 3 layers to come close to the required insulation value for the hearth. Stagger the seams between layers.

You are going to put the stove on a concrete floor. You don't need to build a hearth the concrete floor will work fine.

Yep, that would save a lot expense and build up.

I just want it built up so there is a visual barrier. Maybe it will help keep the kids away. Anyone have any opinions or experience with trying to get a 6 inch liner down a 7.25 inch flue?

Is it 7.25 internal diameter? A 6" flex liner has an outer diameter of ~6.25", and if you add about 1.5" for the insulation, you are looking at around 7.75" total outer diameter of the new liner.

A 5.5" might work. That would come out at around 6.75" OD. Still snug. How tall is the chimney?

Last edited:
The chimney is about 25'. Is renting a tile breaker tool a fairly simple task? I'm pretty handy and wouldn't mind the project. I assume that would open up plenty of room or a insulated liner. Also the chimney runs down the wall in the garage and is all cinder block. Is that common? Would a liner work with cinder block?

Chimney in garage is not uncommon. Haven't heard of a tile breaker being for rent and have never personally done it. Best to have a sweep answer that question.

Status
Not open for further replies.