Newbie Questions...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfeiff99

Jun 11, 2008
North Central MA
Hello! I've been lurking around this forum for awhile now. You guys have been very helpful in our research. My husband and I have decided to get a pellet stove installed by months end.

Can you give me any info on the Lennox Montage and / or the SBI/Enerzone Bio-45?

Any info would be appreciated. We have a 100+ year old house, three levels, about 1500 sq. feet. We have oil heat downstairs, and the bedrooms (2nd and 3rd floors) have electric baseboard heat as well.

Thanks!

Kathi

I dont know anything about those 2 stoves but be sure you dealer has what you are looking for in stock if you are looking at an installation any time soon. Most of us are finding that if we buy now we are looking at taking delivery in the fall or even in some cases in early winter. Hopefully someone more informed about these will reply to your question.

Are these stoves the only option? Have you visited a Quadrafire, Enviro or Harman dealer for comparison?

I'd also look into other stoves, such as the brands mentioned above. The stoves you mentioned might be okay, but they are certainly not the most popular here.

Also, be realistic what this stove can do for you. Old houses tend to have enclosed floor plans, which are less than ideal for distributing the heat from your stove. The more open the floor plan, the easier it will be to spread the heat. Also, heat will tend to go up, but don't be fooled into thinking you'll be able to heat multiple floors above your stove. You'll get some heat on the floor above the stove, but minimal two floors above the stove. Stoves are space heaters, keep this in mind and you're likely to form more realistic expectations.

Thanks everyone, we are researching many other brands. We just really liked what we saw with the Montage thus far. Our dealer has them in stock as well as a few other brands. We got on the installation schedule for July 25th, so we have some time. Thank you for the info on heating the house as well. Given that we have three levels, we figured the stove would be for the floor its on, which is what we need. We tend to keep our house around 62 during the day in the winter. As I mentioned the upper floors have baseboard heat in the bedrooms, so we're fine (my husband and I never turned ours on, but we keep the kids on low). But that main floor, yikes that's chilly, so the stove is for that.

Thanks again, you guys rock!

The Montage appears to be a new stove. It looks like a nice design visually. However, Lennox doesn't have anything about it that I could find other than a marketing blurb. Do you have some specifications like its btu output?

Generally we don't recommend a new stove because it takes a year or two to work the bugs out of the design and to get the field personnel up to speed on installing and repairing them correctly. If you do get the stove, please keep us posted throughout the season on how it works out for you.

If you want heat, the Enerzone Bio-45 is hard to beat. The air flowing through the heat exchanger when runnning at max is over 300 degrees F. It is quite impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.