1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Newbie Used Question - Lopi Endeavor

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by chargervp, Apr 1, 2013.

1. chargervp

chargervp New Member

Loc:
    Mid-Michigan
    I think I will probably just start out with the pedestal and see how I like it. I can always change it later. I will definitely be building a raised hearth. Figuring out what hearth I want will be fun.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. jensent

jensent Member

Loc:
    central Ill
    If you can run the chimney straight up with dbl wall telescoping pipe from the stove to the chimney (I think its called the thimble at the ceiling) then you can clean the entire chimney from the stove to the top without going up on the roof. This works well for old folks like me. Use a garbage bag on the bottom of the pipe with the handle through the bag and add sections of handle as needed. Be sure to use the correct brush per the chimney mfg or you risk damaging the chimney. I didn't know that they are made from both plastic and steel. The pipe mfg for our chimney recommended that we not use a steel brush.
    Enjoy
    Tom
  3. WidowMaker

WidowMaker Member

Loc:
    Central Washington
    ====

Great stove, $700 was a good deal. Been burning one since '99, heating 2000 sq ft of not well insulated house. As a result I have to burn the stove really hard during 10* and below snaps...I have had to replace both the air tubes and the baffles twice, last time i used stainless and have not had to replace them in over 5 yrs and the still look great.

You'll not be cleaning the pipe from below, by-pass damper won't allow it... Ok, if you remove tobes, baffle bricks and damper then you could clean from below, but by then winter would be over....
  4. chargervp

chargervp New Member

Loc:
    Mid-Michigan
    The cabin seems to be pretty well insulated so I can't wait to get it installed. I't a 3/12 pitch so going up on the roof shouldn't be a problem as long as I remember to clean it before snow gets on. The pipes look good. If I replace them I will use stainless for sure.
  5. hickoryhoarder

hickoryhoarder New Member

Loc:
    Indiana
    Chargervp -- I can't help with most of your question. We've had a Lopi for three years. They're not cheap when new. But we like it a lot.
  6. Treacherous

Treacherous Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WA state
    Sooteater will allow for easy cleaning from below. I don't have to remove anything.