• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mechanic100

Feb 1, 2018
Durham Ontario
I am new here, and just purchased a Sedore 3000.
I installed last night, and am wondering if allot of white smoke from my chimney is normal.
The stove is working great, and burned more than 12 hours with a full load of well seasoned hardwood.
Just seems like a lot of white smoke for such an efficient stove in my opinion.
I am a mechanic by trade, and smoke would generally tell me that there is unburnt fuel.

Last edited by a moderator:
White smoke usually isn't a problem--perhaps some moisture and other gases from the combustion, but not usually anything that can be burned up. I notice it most on colder days. Are you getting good secondary flames? Also if your glass is staying clean that is a pretty good indication of a clean burn too.

no glass on the Sedore 3000, but not sure what you mean by "secondary flame"
certainly burning all of the fuel source.
thanks
Besides no glass, the Sedore is a downdraft stove, so secondary combustion is not visible.

Do the white clouds coming from the chimney dissipate quickly? If so they may be steam. If they are greyish and linger it could be unburnt flue gases.
When was the wood split and stacked? What species of wood are you burning?

Besides no glass, the Sedore is a downdraft stove, so secondary combustion is not visible.

Do the white clouds coming from the chimney dissipate quickly? If so they may be steam. If they are greyish and linger it could be unburnt flue gases.
When was the wood split and stacked? What species of wood are you burning?

He might not be burning wood alone, as it is a multi bio fuel stove.

He might not be burning wood alone, as it is a multi bio fuel stove.
Just burning hardwood alone, but not sure of the species.
I get it from the saw mill close by.
Can't be sure when it was cut and stacked.
I was thinking about a moisture meter.
The smoke does dissipate quite quickly, so you may be right about steam.
My old Vermont castings defiant, showed less smoke and more heat.
-8 here right now.
Cant say enough good things about this stove (so far), the only negative at this point was the price $5300.00 CND tax in :(

My old Vermont castings defiant, showed less smoke and more heat.
-8 here right now.
Cant say enough good things about this stove (so far), the only negative at this point was the price $5300.00 CND tax in :(
I really like this stove I read the manual has very good instructions happy burning https://www.sedoreusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/2015-Sedore-3000-Op-and-install-manual.pdf

Reactions: mechanic100
If these are milling slabs some of the wood may not be that well seasoned. It would need to be resplit, at room temperature, and tested on the freshly exposed face of the wood to test properly for moisture.

A stovepipe thermometer would help you quite a bit. You can pick one up at most stove shops or home improvement stores. Put it about 2' above the stove or between the elbow and where it goes into the wall depending on your installation. If you're going outside and smelling smoke all the time then I'd say the fire isn't hot enough. The only time we smell smoke around here is when we're loading the stove and bringing it up to temperature. OR when I throw sawdust in the ash can. I'm going to guess that it certainly isn't only moisture you're seeing it's as you said, unburnt fuel. The "why" its unburnt is what you're looking for. A hotter fire will help as long as the wood allows you to do that.

If these are milling slabs some of the wood may not be that well seasoned. It would need to be resplit, at room temperature, and tested on the freshly exposed face of the wood to test properly for moisture.
they are not milling slabs, it is all good split hardwood
we are -12 C outside and I have an inside temp of 25.5 so it is working well.
I have a stack thermometer at 600 F and a deck temp of 500, but I am not sure if the stack temp probe is accurate.
I am using double wall pipe.
Trying to upload a picture, but pics have to be on a remote server it appears.

Attachments

• STOVEFULL.jpg
    STOVEFULL.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 317
  • NEWSTOVE.jpg
    NEWSTOVE.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 314
Reactions: T-roy_
Stove requires minimum 20 f
they are not milling slabs, it is all good split hardwood
we are -12 C outside and I have an inside temp of 25.5 so it is working well.
I have a stack thermometer at 600 F and a deck temp of 500, but I am not sure if the stack temp probe is accurate.
I am using double wall pipe.
Trying to upload a picture, but pics have to be on a remote server it appears.
Kool pictures it’s nice! How tall is the chimney?

Hoo boy, haven't seen a whorehouse red stove in many years here. ;lol j/k

Looks like a nice setup, is there a draw collar on the stove pipe? If you're curious and get a chance, take a thick split and moisture test as noted previously.

Last edited:
Thats pretty cool!

Hoo boy, haven't seen a whorehouse red stove in many years here. ;lol j/k

Looks like a nice setup, is there a draw collar on the stove pipe? If you're curious and get a chance, take a thick split and moisture test as noted previously.
What is a draw collar?
I am pretty sure there is quite a bit of draw, in fact I am positive.
Definitely going to get a moisture tester.
Still lots of white smoke from Chimney, even when it is cranked full.
closed the air off 3/4 and left for 4 hours, just got in and it was 15 degrees in here. :(
just opened it right up again to see what happens.
Was up to 24 last night, blows my Vermont castings encore away!
We just moved up here from Toronto, log home on 100 acres in the bush.
Never going back to the city!
Love wood heat, it is soooo much better!!

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
Moisture meter will tell give information you need meanwhile go into the bush and round up really dry wood and check wood at room temperature parallel with grain. To be honest with you I know nothing about a down draft stove still learning here!

will do, yes this site is great, lots to learn
OK, so is this a normal amount of smoke?
My old stove never showed this much, but you could see the heat rising from it.
Stove is on full in these pictures.
It is usually worse than this though

Attachments

• SMOKE.JPG
    SMOKE.JPG
    186.1 KB · Views: 231
  • SMOKE2.JPG
    SMOKE2.JPG
    169.7 KB · Views: 208
  • SMOKE3.JPG
    SMOKE3.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 218
  • SMOKE4.JPG
    SMOKE4.JPG
    251 KB · Views: 252
  • SMOKE5.JPG
    SMOKE5.JPG
    217.8 KB · Views: 225
  • SMOKE6.JPG
    SMOKE6.JPG
    207.5 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:
What is a draw collar?
I am pretty sure there is quite a bit of draw, in fact I am positive.
I was trying to figure out what the bulge is in the stovepipe about a foot above the stove. My guess was a draw collar, but that sounds incorrect. What is it?

That does seem like a lot of smoke. Do you have some pallets you could break down or some clean construction cutoffs that you could mix with the cord wood? If so, try that and see if it helps clean up the smoke.

Last edited:
Looking at the pictures BELOW the blacken cap it looks like PIPE is too black. According to your manual 20ft minimum stack height could try a extension to bring the cap over your roof peak.Is it possible your cap is particle plugged from burning wet wood?

Looking at the pictures BELOW the blacken cap it looks like PIPE is too black. According to your manual 20ft minimum stack height could try a extension to bring the cap over your roof peak.Is it possible your cap is particle plugged from burning wet wood?

My old stove never showed this much, but you could see the heat rising from it.
Stove is on full in these pictures.
It is usually worse than this though
Sure looks like smoke to me. Especially given your comment that the old stove always looked cleaner and that it usually is worse than the pics.

Yes, get that moisture meter.

Does your chimney pipe have a key damper like the one in the draw coller link?
Its getting over my head now!