• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Reactions: Sprinter
Gotta confess to being the origin of "Whorehouse Red" back in the day when me and Roospike were messing with each other over his PE Summit and me being the first one to install an Englander 30-NC on the forum.

The banter was good fun.

Reactions: begreen
Very cool and helpful. I think that's steam. It's dissipating quickly.
I hope it is steam. I don't see any creosote signs. But what alerted me was the OP's mention that his older stove had no emissions like that, just warm air waves. I figured that in the same climate, any stove would look about the same in the same weather, but that varies of course. Pretty darn nice stove.

Gotta confess to being the origin of "Whorehouse Red" back in the day when me and Roospike were messing with each other over his PE Summit and me being the first one to install an Englander 30-NC on the forum.
Early battle of the Titans.

Well, that explains a lot. Pretty cool name for a color. I'll have to keep it in mind...and away from the wife, of course.

So, where can I find a can of that?

Reactions: BrotherBart
Judging by the one pic showing the top loading stove latch opened and seeing a the crud build up for 1 days worth of burning, I'm going to say that either your burning the stove to low or you wood supply is to wet.
running stove at full pop, full air supply.
That is the only adjustment on this stove to adjust heat output

my thermometer is not accurate, picking a new one up tomorrow
What type thermometer is it? I don't remember if your flue is single wall or double. Make sure your get the proper type. If double wall, you need a probe type from Condar. If single wall, a magnetic type is okay.

Reactions: Love the Heat
What type thermometer is it? I don't remember if your flue is single wall or double. Make sure your get the proper type. If double wall, you need a probe type from Condar. If single wall, a magnetic type is okay.
I have both types, one magnetic for the stove top and a probe for the double walled pipe.
The probe thermometer is the one that is messed up.
Will replace asap.
I'll get this right yet, this site has been very helpful.
I thank you all

Ok, so I see you actually have a stovepipe thermometer....What temperature does it read when you're burning and it's smoking like this??

BTW--Really nice outfit there! Love the red stove.
Thanks for the compliment, love the stove, it really has consistent heat without having to load it every few hours.
I got almost 14 hours out of it last night and into today.
I will find out the proper internal pipe temp tomorrow.
Thanks

Last edited:
Well, that explains a lot. Pretty cool name for a color. I'll have to keep it in mind...and away from the wife, of course.

So, where can I find a can of that?

Maybe here? :)

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 100
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 160
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 95
When it's humid out, the steam will carry further from the stack. With dry air outside, the steam may disappear 5-10' from the stack.

Reactions: mechanic100
running stove at full pop, full air supply.
That is the only adjustment on this stove to adjust heat output
Then your wood supply prob isn't ready, re-split a whole bunch of pieces into smaller ones and stack about 4ft away from stove and let them dry out, do like 2 days worth and keep rotating as you load the stove.

Reactions: mechanic100
Then your wood supply prob isn't ready, re-split a whole bunch of pieces into smaller ones and stack about 4ft away from stove and let them dry out, do like 2 days worth and keep rotating as you load the stove.
Guys, I went and got a new reliable stack thermometer.
I only have a stack temp of 200 F, 2 ft above the stove, inside a double wall 6" pipe.
Is that normal?
The old thermometer has some heavy black crud on it.
I don't want a fire in my chimney!
This is a different kind of stove, so I( am trying to find out whatever I can.

Guys, I went and got a new reliable stack thermometer.
I only have a stack temp of 200 F, 2 ft above the stove, inside a double wall 6" pipe.
Is that normal?
The old thermometer has some heavy black crud on it.
I don't want a fire in my chimney!
This is a different kind of stove, so I( am trying to find out whatever I can.
From your description, I'm assuming this is a probe thermometer, not a surface thermometer, right? The 600 you mentioned before is high enough to prevent creo deposits, but 200 on the new meter is already below condensation temp. Without a window you can't see what the secondary is doing so I would try running a little hotter..while still keeping the stovetop temp under the recommended maximum, that is.

From your description, I'm assuming this is a probe thermometer, not a surface thermometer, right? The 600 you mentioned before is high enough to prevent creo deposits, but 200 on the new meter is already below condensation temp. Without a window you can't see what the secondary is doing so I would try running a little hotter..while still keeping the stovetop temp under the recommended maximum, that is.
What he said. 200 internally is way to cool. You need to get it up in the burn zone of 325-400 and be at least 24" above the stove. If you can't shut down to clean I'd start out slowly with small hot fires around 300 to dry stuff out over a period of a few days and slowly increase your temps. Best idea would be to clean out and start over. Check your moisture content of your wood too.

What he said. 200 internally is way to cool. You need to get it up in the burn zone of 325-400 and be at least 24" above the stove. If you can't shut down to clean I'd start out slowly with small hot fires around 300 to dry stuff out over a period of a few days and slowly increase your temps. Best idea would be to clean out and start over. Check your moisture content of your wood too.
Just reading the manual, and because this stove works on a different principal, the internal stack ideal temp is 150-200 it is saying.
I cranked it by leaving the lid open a bit, and it went up to 500, then I went outside and saw no smoke at all.
I am going to call the manufacturer Monday and find out whats going on.

yes, internal probe, page 21 of the manual talks about 150-200 degrees in the stack.
I have it set to maximum and only get 150-200

Just reading the manual, and because this stove works on a different principal, the internal stack ideal temp is 150-200 it is saying.
I cranked it by leaving the lid open a bit, and it went up to 500, then I went outside and saw no smoke at all.
I am going to call the manufacturer Monday and find out whats going on.
Is this number using the Celsius scale?

Reactions: Woody Stover
Just reading the manual, and because this stove works on a different principal, the internal stack ideal temp is 150-200
Hmmm, maybe this stove is very efficient at extracting heat before the exhaust leaves the box..?

Did you pick up a chimney brush(Soot Eater) ?