• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Does Canada require a outside air kit for your stove?

This has been an interesting thread. Using a 'copter drone to investigate your stack was very cool indeed.

One thing I'm confused about, you moved to this home recently? Meaning your previous wood burning was
with a different appliance/setup in your previous home?
I looked back in the thread and not sure if this is clear.

This has been an interesting thread. Using a 'copter drone to investigate your stack was very cool indeed.

One thing I'm confused about, you moved to this home recently? Meaning your previous wood burning was
with a different appliance/setup in your previous home?
I looked back in the thread and not sure if this is clear.
I used to live in the city and had a fireplace that I used occasionally.
I moved north in July last year and installed a Vermont Castings encore from scratch (new install) and realized how well I could heat this "log" home because of its r value.
That being said, I figured I would get something more efficient, hence the Sedore 3000.
If I open the lid 1" the stack temperature will go to about 400 (new internal probe thermometer) and when I went outside I had zero smoke, just the heat signature.
However this is not supposed to be done according to the manufacturer, and the internal stack temp should be 100-150
If anything I am the one that is confused, LOL
Thanks
RICK

Rick Is there an adjustment on control rod to change intake Air setting?

yep, there is a control, that opens the holes going to the front of the stove.
It works best with it wide open.
The only other way to give it more air, is to open the lid though.
That there might be an indication of it needing stronger draft. Draft is going to get weaker as outdoor temps warm up. Maybe consult with Sedore and see what they think.

It looked to me like that smoke was kind of swirling lazily at the top. Maybe caused by the roofline close by. Which might be limiting your draft.

Does the manual have a minimum draft spec? You could get a manometer to check it with. Dwyer Mark II Model 25 is a decent one.