newbies w/questions (of course)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Ds

Feeling the Heat
Jan 29, 2012
Western PA, USA
We're getting our pellet stove as soon as we can do so... oil tanks out today (now there's room for pellets!).

We're undecided as to whether to get a Harman (either P38+ or P43) or a Breckwell (like the cast iron ones). So, a few questions.....

1.) opinions as to stove brand/model are appreciated.
2.) is there anyone in Beaver County, PA that services either Harman or Breckwell? Our local stove dealer isn't being recommended the way we'd like them to be..... no kudos, no cheers; rather 'blah' reviews leading us to not want to depend on them..... and yes, we know a certain level of do-it-yourself-ed-ness is expected with pellet stoves..

:)

Thanks so much for any opinions/help!

Dave & Debbye

Don't waste your time with a breckwell IMHO. Unless they about give it away.

Harman, Quad, St. Croix, Enviro, Regency, Vistaflame, Hudson River, Napolean and Englander. Get better reviews here.

<------ St. Criox for us!

A different dealer about 15 mi. away sells Lennox..... opinions regarding these, also?

I have a Harman P43. It's easy to clean and runs itself. It seems that repairs to motors, etc. would be easy too. That's my vote.

Regency/Enviro for me!

1D

How close are you to Ohio??

Like j-takeman stated, stick with a better name brand. Harman makes a fantastic product. But the others listed are all nice. Looking further down the road, you may want to consider a Multi Fuel. This opens up your options, if and when, pellets go sky high. Enviro and Englander have some good ones, but St. Croix is no slouch in the Corn burning department either.

Welcome to the Forums. Looking forward to some install pics....

DexterDay-we are about 1 hr drive from the Rogers Ohio flea market......Probably 1 hr southeast of Youngstown....We have read several posts that give negative marks to our local stove dealer re; service after the sale....we are currently heating the family room of our 1100 sf modular with a 1994 Heat N Glo Crossfire vented lp stove....Horribly inefficient but run for an hour every morning it takes the chill off....We have been and enjoying the things we are learning on this site and are excited about the prospect of pellet stove ownership..have till the end of the month to use this $300 coupon from Harman if we decide to go with them...appreciate any comments or suggestions anyone has.....

Dave

PJPellet said:
I have a Harman P43. It's easy to clean and runs itself. It seems that repairs to motors, etc. would be easy too. That's my vote.

What he said.

76brian said:
PJPellet said:

What he said.

What he said - Harman Accentra here. (which is a multi-fuel - although I don't think I'll be burning corn)

Harman gets my vote. I run room temp/auto all the itme. Throw pellets in once a day, scrape a couple times a week and clean each weekend and sit back and enjoy the fire and heat.

Thanks all of you for the suggestions.....Found another dealer 1 hr away that will install a stove here,and their reputation is much better,going up there in a couple of days to see their showroom and get some prices...Still leaning toward the Harman P43. Will keep ya'll up to date as we go!! This is a great forum where members actually answer questions in a timely fashion !!!

Dave

If you haven't done so, contact Eric at Kinsman Stoves (Kinsman and Brookfield OH). If my stove gives up the ghost, that's the dealer I will visit.

If you like cast check the accentra and xxv. I am a newbie too and we went with the xxv.

If those are your choices then I'd go with P43, and get the $300.00 off coupon from Harmans web site. Good to consider service after the sale

The Ds said:
....Found another dealer 1 hr away that will install a stove here,and their reputation is much better,going up there in a couple of days to see their showroom and get some prices..

Sounds good hope it works out for you.
Make sure you and the dealer are on
the same page about providing repair
service in the event you need them.
A two hour round trip can turn into
a nightmare if your stove is your only
heat source and it's down and
you need them asap.

Status
Not open for further replies.