Newer member saying "Thank you!"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JCrean

Jan 5, 2014
White Lake, MI
I just wanted to tell everyone thank you for contributing to such an informative site! I am a member of many forums but none compare to this one for information and good-natured responses. I have been a lurker since January, but silently this forum has helped me pick an insert, install it, buy effective splitting tools, figure out which wood is best to burn, and even build a woodshed.

This place is fantastic, and for that I thank everyone! Keep up the good work!

-Jason

Welcome Jason. What insert did you install?

Welcome Jason. Glad the place has helped. That is what the joint is all about. Thousands a day visit and get info without ever signing up.

Now that you are one of the gang, share as the season starts up with what you installed and your experiences with it so others can profit from your experiences.

Being on a limited budget, I installed a cheap Century CW2900. I used a single-wall stainless 6" liner and custom insulated block-off plate (ideas from here of course). This combo, although not the best, literally paid for itself this winter in heating cost savings (SE Michigan had a record winter). It heated my 2300 square foot ranch wonderfully with scavenged wood! Hopefully I'll be able to post pics of the install later, but it was a rather simple affair, done almost 100% through this site.

Stick around, Jason...it's the participation of our members that makes this place what it is. The "good work" is done by them. Your lessons learned and experiences can be very useful to others. Rick

I am a member of many forums but none compare to this one for information and good-natured responses.
Go to hell!

:p

Glad someone here was able to help. I'm sure it wasn't me.

Jason,
I will second your sentiment about the folks on this forum!
Apparently pyromaniacs are helpful people...

Reactions: Ashful
That stove I wouldnt call cheap, it just doesnt have all the fancy frills but SBI who owns Century makes good stoves. Heating a 2300 sqft ranch in Michigan with a 2.1 cubic foot stove is is really good performance. I noticed the emissions numbers are pretty good on that stove also. So you got your money's worth.

Alot of us on here like the plain black steel stoves.

I used to heat with a 2.1 cuft stove my approx 2600 sqft ranch house , stove was in the basement.

2.1 size you can get 9-10 hour cycle times pretty easy with good dry wood.

With that being an insert how was your reload times?

Welcome Jason, Century is a very viable line and still costs plenty. Good seasoned wood is the real key anyway. Good luck with the new heater.

That stove I wouldnt call cheap, it just doesnt have all the fancy frills but SBI who owns Century makes good stoves. Heating a 2300 sqft ranch in Michigan with a 2.1 cubic foot stove is is really good performance. I noticed the emissions numbers are pretty good on that stove also. So you got your money's worth.

Alot of us on here like the plain black steel stoves.

I used to heat with a 2.1 cuft stove my approx 2600 sqft ranch house , stove was in the basement.

2.1 size you can get 9-10 hour cycle times pretty easy with good dry wood.

With that being an insert how was your reload times?

I didn't have much in the way of well seasoned wood last year, and thus was only getting about 6-7 hours per load since I couldn't fill the stove all the way or I'd just smolder.

Status
Not open for further replies.