Newly remodeld Living Room

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rcarnes

Hearth Supporter
Aug 25, 2010
Jersey Shore, PA
Just remodeld the living room where the Alaska wood stove sit. Added insulation, drywall, hard wood floors and a 54" ceiling fan. I notice now that I cannot shut my key damper in the pipe fully closed. My stack temp will drop from about 350 to 200 and will not climb much higher than that. This is on a full load of seasoned Rock Oak. My question is does adding the insulation as well as having a ceiling fan running, in reverse, affect how the stove burn now? Living room used to be in the high 70's to low 80's. Now I'm in the mid 90's and even hit 100!

Also, on my stove I have two dampers on the door. Do I get my stack temp up to 350 or 400 then start closing them slowly to get an over night burn then close the key damper? Or do I get the stack temp to 350 or 400 degree, close the key damper and wait for the stack temp to come back up then start closing the door dampers?

Thanks for your help!

I'll throw out the idea that is sounds like you really cut down on the draftyness of the house/room and the air available to go up the chimney has been reduced. But this is a good thing, becuase now you will burn a lot less wood to get to the same temp....which it sounds like you are clearly seeing.

In my 30 years of burning wood I've never had a damper in the chimney pipe, I've just had dampers on the outside of the stove. I'd adjust those to get the desired burn temperature.

I'd think you just need to readjust what you have already learned over the years to keep the fire a bit cooler....less wood per load may also come into play here....but it sounds like you should burn much less wood now.

Try posting this in the hearth section. You will get more replies there...

Status
Not open for further replies.