Next question (sorry)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skinnykid

May 6, 2008
Next to a lake in NH
Sorry about all the possibly dumb questions but I want to burn as safely and efficiently as possible next winter.
Who uses stove pipe dampers?

I was talking to a friend who burns wood and I was telling him that I was having a hard time getting good over night burn. I was saying that I am not to thrilled with the slide lever air intake control. When I load up the fire box and adjust the intake I get either rip roaring fire or smoldering with a flame here and there. When I wake up I don't even have hot ambers.

He told me that to not mess with the intake, get a pipe damper and control it that way. He told me that at bed time, close it down some and control the exhaust which will control the intake (obviously)

and that it works much better for over night burn.

Can someone verify this? And tell me how to install one. I heard that the sell pipe with them already in but I haven't yet found one.
I have just found the one where I have to break the pipe and put it in.

Thanks for the help

I`m assuming this is a new epa stove or insert? Simple ,, it`s a learning curve. so learn it. after burning wood for the past 30 years I just upgraded myself, and am going to spend the first weeks this winter learning and learning how to do it right. Just takes some time, thats all. but it`s do able.

skinnykid said:
Sorry about all the possibly dumb questions...

Dunno 'bout the damper, skinny, sorry, I don't have one in either of my stoves. BUT, you don't ever have to apologize for asking questions. You know what they say about questions...the only stupid one is the one you don't ask. Asking questions is what forums like this are all about, and I'll tell ya, I've learned a ton from the folks on here by asking my dumb questions, and I'll continue to do so. Rick

I had stoves with pipe dampers for 30 years so when my wife got this new stove the dealer said it didn't require a pipe damper...something about the way the new EPA burns. Tell you the truth I kind of miss my pipe damper it's a good back up control in case there's a chimney fire. So I'll be following this topic closely..not that I don't have good overnight fire but because I miss my pipe damper.

Skinny the only advice I have is for you to tell us what kind of stove you have. Many stoves have their little tricks and I'm sure someone here has your type of stove and will offer up a solution.

I have a damper in my setup. I installed it about 10 inches up the chimney. I ended up just buying the damper and installing it. No need to seperate the pipe, just drill the holes for the damper shaft and you can install by reaching in the pipe. The toughest part of the install is getting the holes directly across from each other.

I can't imagine NOT having a damper. My stove is an older free-standing unit that I am sure is NOT EPA approved. I really don't care, it heats my house (and I'm not going to get into an argument of pollution). The damper allows me to keep more heat in the stove and thus in the house versus going up the chimney. With the combination of adjusting intake air and the chimney damper, I can easily adjust the burn to whatever size fire I desire.

My guess is that you are really not getting that stove hot enough - really ripping. What kind of stove do you have and what is the flue size and height. It does take a bit to master each individual stove. In general, the air intake control should be all you need and no damper. If you can control the air going in then why need to control the air out - under normal circumstances that is.

Something like my Avalon - the intake knob actually slided in and out 4 inches but only about 1 inch of that controls the air flow.

skinnykid said:
I get either rip roaring fire or smoldering with a flame here and there. When I wake up I don't even have hot ambers.
Is the wood seasoned properly? Partly season wood needs more air and smoulders when the air is closed. If I have well seasoned wood in mine closing the intake will not put out the flames. Normally it makes it hotter.

skinnykid said:
He told me that to not mess with the intake, get a pipe damper and control it that way. He told me that at bed time, close it down some and control the exhaust which will control the intake (obviously)
I personally would not restrict the flue with anything unless this is recommended by the manufacturer. I'm sure anyone that has suffered carbon monoxide poisoning, caused by a restricted flue, will agree.

skinnykid said:
over night burn.
What would you consider overnight burn? If you want to be able to easily relight from embers after 8/10 hours you are going to need a firebox well over 2 cubic feet and a good supply of well seasoned hardwood.

About the only reason one would need a damper is to control excessive draft and that is not your problem. I'd also bet on the wood being the problem along with the learning curve.

One fellow says he's been burning for 30 years. Well, I can beat that! I do not have a damper either, but definitely did have a learning curve with our new stove last year. Once we figured it out, no problems from there out.

Status
Not open for further replies.