1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Next years primary heat won't be from pellets

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by samdweezel05, Oct 10, 2012.

1. osagebow

osagebow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Sorry I assumed you were new to woodburning, thought maybe that saw was a buddy's or something .Sounds like you have a good "start" on wood hahaha...I've never milled, would love to try it someday.
    Havagoodun'
    OB

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. smwilliamson

smwilliamson Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southcoast, MA
    You ha e 2 different problems. First off, if you get feed but failure to co tinue after start...vacuum or vac swtich id failed. Fail to feed initially os a poor thermostat contact.
  3. blanc12

blanc12 Member

Loc:
    Northern Maine
    When my furnace turns on it will set an error on my alalvon astoria. It will start right up when the thermostat calls for heat. Thank God. Get a better stove. Name brands will work with you. find one close to you. It is great to only lug a sac of pellets as aposed to cutting splitting piling and loading wood. screw that. been there. done that. my back has gotten old with arthritus.
  4. gfreek

gfreek Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Beautiful Attica/Varysburg,New York
    You tried burning pellets, it did not work our for you. It's not for everyone. Enjoy the outdoors and the wood fire. Burn safely.....
  5. Cross Cut Saw

Cross Cut Saw Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Boulder, CO
    Nice haul!

I'm sure if you felt like you did all you wanted to do to solve the problem that was enough. Babysitting a stove would be a pain and hardly worth the effort.
  6. will711

will711 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pocono mts.
    Hey Sam,
    Nice statement in this tech world we live in there is a lot less face to face conversation. I can go weeks with out speaking to my boss which is ok means all is good no issues then I get the "evil"email about some small BS then emails back and forth... when 5 min. of face time where I look you in the eyes read your body language hear your tone of voice lets me know where you are coming from and vice versa. What a concept.

Sorry I got way off topic I appreciate that you got back on here and as Paul Harvey would say " gave us the rest of the story"

You didn't offend me with either post all is good you needed to vent.

Hope it all works out Best of luck!:)

Will
  7. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    I for one don't get bent out of shape because of your post, however there are more than a couple of folks on here that burn that stove or it's sibling without issues.

So when a stove has a good case of the hiccups the very first thing folks tend to think of is oh good grief it is a lemon. Frequently it turns out the install is out to lunch or it got bounced around in someones truck etc.. We have pretty good luck getting stoves working on here.

One of hearth.com's members a guy with the handle Krooser has a sig line that handles better than 80% of all problems that show up on here and in the real world.

Enjoy your wood stove, remember for a safe burning experience keep the stove and flue clean and the wood well seasoned or as it is said on here a clean stove is a happy, safe, and warm stove.
  8. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

If I read the post right? Will you be installing the wood stove for Next Year?

If so.... Then the Pellet stove will need to run this year. Which will give you time to work on it. The best troubleshooting tips have already been noted in this thread. Check gaskets, clear vacuum hose/barb, clean stove, open feed gate, etc, etc.

If all else fails, then once you get it started, just run it on Low or Med. If the house gets to warm on Med, either lower feed gate or drop to Low. If it gets to cold on low, then go to Med or open feed gate. Once running the only way its really gonna shut down is from lack of feed. Find the line in which that happens? Make a mark on the feed rod and NEVER go below that point. Ever... :)

Is the wood stove going in this season?

2012-10-07_16-34-00_436.jpg
  9. samdweezel05

samdweezel05 Member

Loc:
    Upstate NY
    You have no need to be sorry as I didn't put any of that info in my original post.

I am one of the few people left in the world that have no idea what Facebook is or what the hell a twitter is. I like it that way. As far as off topic goes.....I am the king of ADD or ADHD threads.....oh look, a quarter.

Yup, pellet stove has to work for this year. Also has to work next year as it will be the source of heat when the wood stove goes out if and when the wife and I are both out of the house during the day for 12 hours at a time. I went with a pellet stove in this new/used house because I was tired of my wife having to deal with bringing in wood and having to clean up the mess it made in the house. I don't care if I have to deal with it but truth of the matter is, she is home more than me. We can put enough pellets in the house to run for a week at a time with out having to bring more in no matter how cold it gets. -30F for a week and we used 14 bags of pellets and kept the house at 72-73 degrees, 24/7. Once a week for pellets was/is better than dealing with wood every day but I don't pay for wood and a wood stove would save me at least $900 a year. The pellet stove saves me almost $1000 a year as I used 20 gallons of fuel oil last year only because of some issues with the pellet stove.
  10. samdweezel05

samdweezel05 Member

Loc:
    Upstate NY
    And maybe some milling with the underpowered 440.. Here's a nice little 31" wide Elm bar top. I am a welder/fabricator and diesel mechanic and heavy equipment mechanic by trade and I build my own chain saw mills and guides.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Damn I wish you lived closer :)

I am looking to buy an Alaskan 36" Mill here in the next year or two. Time is all thats stopped me thus far. They dont cost much, but they do take time to run :(

Thats a beautiful board you have. Are you leaving the bark on? Or squaring it up? Looks great all natural.
  12. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Oh and the words "Underpowered" and "440" can never be used in the same sentence.

I was looking at a 440 or 441, but got way to good of a deal on the 460! :)
  13. Monosperma

Monosperma Member

Loc:
    Colorado/NewMexico
    This is exactly why I would be leery of the pellet stove, and why, so far, I am a wood guy. Pellets are wonderful when they work, but when they don't, you've got problems. Wood, being inherently low-tech, and with few moving parts (fan? damper?) tends to have fewer problems, IMHO. And you can get nice, long, burns with the modern ones, particularly the cats.
  14. krooser

krooser Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Waupaca, WI
    My back hurts just looking at all that stacked firewood..
    DexterDay likes this.