I have a Superior GDV5000 natural gas fireplace insert, direct vent out the back, installed in 1989. It has always seemed to run very hot, but not enough to trip the overheat safety t'stat. The brass coated decorative trim on the top turned black from heating many years ago, but it didn't bother me enough to be concerned. Now the problem: The fireplace surround has been noncombustible brick. I have now had the brick covered with a wood surround and am concerned that the wood above the fireplace is getting too hot. The wood above the fireplace begins about 6 inches from the top of the fireplace. The fireplace has a circulating fan. The wood is getting too hot to touch. I cannot leave my hand on the wood at all. I do not have an infrared thermometer, but I am assuming that the temperature is above 160 F. My question is: Any guesses on why this fireplace is getting so hot, and might there be a way of adjusting it to burn a bit cooler. By the way, the air shutter is full open. Thanks for any comments you may have.