Nights like this

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dafattkidd

Minister of Fire
Dec 11, 2007
Long Island
It's 20* and dropping to 12* with over 20 mph gusts (they say below zero with wind chill). These are the nights I could not keep my house warm, and the oil burner would be running all night.

Nights like this I literally thank God for my wood stove. I remember feeling such a sense of responsibility for the house being cold. Like some how it was my fault the house is drafty. Well I can now say it's my fault the house is warm and cozy. I collected, cut, split and stacked the wood that's heating my house. And it's doing a far better than the oil burner ever has.

~LIKE~

pen

What it is all about. We have exactly the same temps and winds tonight. And at the moment and for a lot of moments coming the place is actually too warm. But it beats the hell out of the alternative.

Sleep well. Ya earned it.

i've got a bit of a project going on at the cottage-cedar tongue and groove paneling in the bedroom. when i got there this a.m. it was 14f inside. outside was -12f with a wind of 13-15 mph. with the wood stove, it got up to t-shirt temp in no time at all!! i replaced the oil burner last fall with the wood stove and have been thinking "aunt Jemimah, what took you so long??" the oil burner would have to be cleaned usually 3 or more times a season and would not heat the place during the winter months. with the wood stove, it gets as warm as you want it! glad we live where wood is readily available.

Feels mighty nice tonight ---- indoors! Awful cold outdoors.

Got it up to 86 in the stove room and high 70s in rest of the house.
Suppose to go down to 26 tonight and calling for snow Thursday.
I have a BK wood drying project going and have been stocking up on pallets. The furnace? The one that cost me 400 dollars last Feb? It hasnt made a sound this Feb.

Good job dude. I know where your at with that stove

Do some of you guys raise the temps high at night before bed so it will be warmer in the morning?

Feels good don't it. :) I'm only at 71 inside, but it's -18 and dropping outside. I'm not complaining.

HotCoals said:
Do some of you guys raise the temps high at night before bed so it will be warmer in the morning?

Usually happens. Darn stove and weather work in reverse. Stove starts out hot and gets cooler. Weather at night starts out warmer and craters before sun-up. One of them has it backwards. >:-(

Beetle-Kill said:
Feels good don't it. :) I'm only at 71 inside, but it's -18 and dropping outside. I'm not complaining.

71 inside is what I usually shoot for. I'm often a little warmer and could make it much hotter if I wanted to, but we are very comfortable around 71. Some of you guys like it real warm inside. I'm good right about there.

SW Arkansas ain't what I remember. It has snowed here twice in the last two weeks and tonight the low is going to be 25* with 9" of snow forecast and a low of 5* tomorrow night. Last winter was cold here and this winter has been even colder. Can't wait to get in the new cabin with a new wood stove. Right now we are in our small cabin with a small unvented propane heater and a milk house heater. It's warm enough but the air quality is in the dumper. Next year I hope to be able to report sucess stories like you guys are reporting! At least it's better than two years ago in Vermont where we had a 30" snow followed 3 days later with another 30" snow!
Jbird

Its -3 already and new stove is in the back of a semi headed this way. Might see it tomorrow or might not. Don't know yet till they call me in the morn. Sure wanted to get it in service before it warms up in a few days. Here I want could weather to the new stove a work out to see what its made of and it will probably warm up and stay there.

DaFattKidd said:
It's 20* and dropping to 12* with over 20 mph gusts (they say below zero with wind chill). These are the nights I could not keep my house warm, and the oil burner would be running all night.

Nights like this I literally thank God for my wood stove. I remember feeling such a sense of responsibility for the house being cold. Like some how it was my fault the house is drafty. Well I can now say it's my fault the house is warm and cozy. I collected, cut, split and stacked the wood that's heating my house. And it's doing a far better than the oil burner ever has.

We thank God days and nights for our wood stove and the wood to keep us warm. I was surprised this morning to find it never did get as cold as expected last night. I remember laying in bed sometime during the night and hearing the wind howling. Knowing I had to get out to plow some snow this morning I was sort of dreading the task. It turned out well though.

Glad it went well, Dennis. How are you feeling? I'm sure the cold isn't making this any easier on you.

What a sense of satisfaction! And what a warm feeling, both inside and out!

DaFattKidd said:
Glad it went well, Dennis. How are you feeling? I'm sure the cold isn't making this any easier on you.

Ya, there are a few problems. For sure not being able to walk outdoors causes some problems so I have to just walk back and forth in the house. No doubt I am not walking as far as I think I should be. Just have to live with it. Warm up is coming so maybe some snow and ice will melt and if I could just walk up and down the driveway (100 yards) that would be great.

One thing that is troubling me is that I sometimes get so cold I just shake and shiver. Uncontrollable thing it is. Even this morning my wife said for the last 2 hours in bed I kept shaking. I'd shake for a while and then stop. Over and over. This started while I was in the hospital and I told the nurses but nobody seemed to think it was anything. It is strange for sure.

Happy to report that most of the swelling has disappeared. That is a big plus.

Backwoods Savage said:
DaFattKidd said:

Ya, there are a few problems. For sure not being able to walk outdoors causes some problems so I have to just walk back and forth in the house. No doubt I am not walking as far as I think I should be. Just have to live with it. Warm up is coming so maybe some snow and ice will melt and if I could just walk up and down the driveway (100 yards) that would be great.

One thing that is troubling me is that I sometimes get so cold I just shake and shiver. Uncontrollable thing it is. Even this morning my wife said for the last 2 hours in bed I kept shaking. I'd shake for a while and then stop. Over and over. This started while I was in the hospital and I told the nurses but nobody seemed to think it was anything. It is strange for sure.

Happy to report that most of the swelling has disappeared. That is a big plus.

Man, that sounds really difficult. I'm sorry that's going on. Have you considered speaking to another doctor about the shaking/shivering? That sounds very uncomfortable and doesn't sound like a normal part of recovery. Glad the swelling is going down. I am praying for your recovery to go well and your vigor to be returned to you.

Ya, I may call the family doctor today.

That shivering can be side effect of general anesthesia (sp?) but normally disappears in a couple of days. I would sure check this out with my doctor. Doctors have a habit of blowing off minor complaints that turn out to be serious
problems. Make sure you are being heard.
Jbird

Backwoods Savage said:
DaFattKidd said:

It is a big deal in terms of your comfort. It is normal. And it's a really, really, easy fix. (And I'm darned annoyed none of the nurses helped you with this.) Put some nice fuzzy blankets in the dryer and get them warm, and wrap them around you. Drink something warm. The shivering will stop.

mutterp.o.'d.stompannoyancepfft

Thanks Jbird. Appointment has been made and will see doctor this afternoon.

Snowleopard, for sure we are doing that. We're just concerned that it is continuing.

Status
Not open for further replies.