1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

No worries, I was going to restack EVERYTHING anyway. :(

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Bster13, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Bster13

Bster13 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CT
    Insurance company called and stated they would revoke my homeowner's insurance if we didn't remove the two leafs hanging over the roof, what a PIA.

Anyway, instead of paying a tree guy, I decided to go DIY (well my neighbor is a landscaper and he happened to help me with the last cut, great guy). Well.... good news is it didn't hit the house or me. Bad news is it kicked the crap out of my wood stacked and the cleanup is going to be a major PIA!

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/603815_840343113676_1964623706_n.jpg
    https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/164926_841172356866_1858143406_n.jpg
    https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/923042_841124218336_907655854_n.jpg

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    Guess they don't care if the whole tree falls on the house then, eh?:rolleyes:
  3. Bster13

Bster13 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CT
    It was a learning experience. Heck, don't even know how much it would cost to pay a tree guy, but I had the tools, and it wasn't scary, but yeah I knew my wood pile was going to pay the price,. hehe. I'll split my stuff smaller now that I have to restack since I am a new burning and my wood won't quite me 1yr old next fall.
  4. HittinSteel

HittinSteel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeastern Ohio
    Your insurance agent must be bored.
    nate379 and Bster13 like this.
  5. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    No one got hurt, Good job!

Saved yourself some $$!
  6. fire_man

fire_man Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Ma
    I wonder if your insurance company would have paid if you hit the house?:oops:
    nate379 likes this.
  7. Bster13

Bster13 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CT
    Probably not. Always an educated guess when choosing DIY vs paying a professional. The way I saw it. The branch would of only had small branches graze the house even if I royally screwed up. Like I said, the ins co was being picky, but now I should never have to worry. :)

I refinished the floors myself but paid an electrician to wire the recessed lighting....always a choice. :)

8. Jack Straw

Jack Straw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schoharie County, N Y
    I hope your life insurance company doesn't see those pics!
    mywaynow and Beer Belly like this.
  9. Ralphie Boy

Ralphie Boy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern Kentucky along the Ohio River
    I'm surprised they didn't make a threat about your stacks. I hear some insurance companies are nuts about full time wood burners or those with more than a cord of wood stacked on the lot.
  10. Bster13

Bster13 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CT
  11. HittinSteel

Loc:
    Northeastern Ohio
    Most homeowner's policies only exclude intentional torts.....hell, negligence (yours or others) is why we purchase insurance.
    Bster13 likes this.
  12. JrCRXHF

JrCRXHF Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Mid, Michigan
    I have a few trees that hang over the house one of which is a ash tree i asked them about taking out my ash trees before they hit the house if they would cover any of it they said no you have to wait until it hits the house and then they will remove the tree and fix the damage.

:rolleyes:
  13. Bster13

Bster13 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CT
    haha, nice. Well I suppose it will be less gutter cleaning and less crap on the roof now that the tree is gone.
  14. HittinSteel

Loc:
    Northeastern Ohio
    it's all about the time value of your money (premiums) to the insurance company
  15. KarlP

KarlP Feeling the Heat

The GOOD news is it didn't kick the crap out of the base of your ladder and send you falling onto the wood pile to knock it over. :)

I'd suggest throwing a rope around the limb and through a rung of the ladder before you start cutting. That way it isn't as likely to get knocked off with you on it...
  16. Bster13

Bster13 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CT
    Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not, but through the limb? That would pull the ladder down when the limb falls.

Anyway, the job is done, made the final cut from above the limb while hanging on to the base of the tree.

The cutting wasn't all that bad, but MAN is the CLEANUP a groan!

So many little branches...ugh.

17. privatejoker75

privatejoker75 Member

Loc:
    Goldstake, WA
    We can't even get insurance here. The house was uninsured for 2 years (death in the family, house sat in limbo) and apparently that's all they need to deny you coverage
  18. nate379

nate379 Guest

YUP! Same exact thing I was told last year too. I had to spend $600 to get a few trees dropped.