Noisy combustion blower 10-cpm

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mithesaint

Minister of Fire
Nov 1, 2011
NW Ohio
The combustion blower on my 10-cpm got really noisy tonight. It's a high pitched hum/whine and it grates on my last nerve. The stove seems to be burning just fine, nice clean burn etc.

I pulled the blower and cleaned and installed a new gasket about 3-4 weeks ago and it was fine until tonight. The combustion blower can't be oiled, right? Any tricks for quieting this thing down? I sense a new blower in my future, but that doesn't help me tonight.

Thank in advance.

Well, the comb. blower motor has "sealed" ball bearings, but you can sneak some oil into the outer one pretty easily. The inner one can be oiled if the motor is removed from the stove and also removed from the holder, but it's tough. If you look at the bearing on your motor, like in the pic, and turn the shaft, you'll see the bearing race turn with the motor shaft....just on it's outer edge is where you can try to get some oil in. Same for the inner, if you decide to dismantle the blower/mount.

Also, there have been members that have bought replacement bearings and replaced them.

Attachments

• Comb.JPG
    Comb.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 131
This would be the exhaust motor?

If it's not the bearings, and it probably is, it is possible that the gasket has slipped inward and the vanes of the blower are hitting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.