Nominal clay flue sizes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

willkil

Mar 6, 2018
Wichita, KS
I'm pretty new to chimney rehabilitation, but a quick study. I've measured the two square flues on my chimney and would like confirmation of their nominal sizes. Here's what I measured and what I think their nominal sizes are:

Interior SizeExterior SizeProposed Nominal Size
6⅞"8½"8"
10⅞"12½"12"

Have I proposed the correct nominal sizes?

You are correct

Some manufactures of different components will call then 9 x 13 or 8 x 12. These components are usually adjustable with bolts or will fit different flue sizes. Such as Rain Caps or Dampers.

Reactions: willkil
Some manufactures of different components will call then 9 x 13 or 8 x 12. These components are usually adjustable with bolts or will fit different flue sizes. Such as Rain Caps or Dampers.

Are you saying that this 13"x13" top damper would fit my 12" flue? Makes sense as the specs on that page say this:
  • Fits Flue Width/Diameter: 10"-13" | 15"-18" | 7"-10"
  • Fits Flue Depth: 10"-13" | 15"-18" | 7"-10"