Non-cat air setting for mild weather

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mar13

Minister of Fire
Nov 5, 2018
California redwood coast
With mild weather back east, are non-cat users setting your air level higher or lower than when it's colder outside? I can see two possibilities: (1) when it's mild outside, you want less heat, so leave the air more closed, or (2) when it's mild outside, the draft isn't as strong so to get a clean burn, more air is needed. Somewhere in between, I suppose, is the answer.

My motivation for this question is that right now I'm experiencing 48 and rain which is typical winter weather for here. As a new epa stove user (T5, not epa2020), I'm still messing with air levels. I'm finding that for a clean top-down burn (zero visible smoke with careful observation), I need to have my air at least 1/3 open despite dry wood and a 20+ chimney. ( I can have it set lower if it's in the 30s outside or I burn very hot for a long time at first.)

I kept my air at about 15-20% open when I would normally run full closed the last few fires. I was burning smaller (shorter in length), and not filling it clear full, loads so I think to maintain minimum amount of heat to keep the secondary combustion going I had to give it more air. An experience similar to yours.
Evan

With mild weather back east, are non-cat users setting your air level higher or lower than when it's colder outside? I can see two possibilities: (1) when it's mild outside, you want less heat, so leave the air more closed, or (2) when it's mild outside, the draft isn't as strong so to get a clean burn, more air is needed. Somewhere in between, I suppose, is the answer.

My motivation for this question is that right now I'm experiencing 48 and rain which is typical winter weather for here. As a new epa stove user (T5, not epa2020), I'm still messing with air levels. I'm finding that for a clean top-down burn (zero visible smoke with careful observation), I need to have my air at least 1/3 open despite dry wood and a 20+ chimney. ( I can have it set lower if it's in the 30s outside or I burn very hot for a long time at first.)
It's not unusual to have the air a bit further open to compensate for weaker draft due to warmer outside temps. It's about to get much colder and with this temperature drop, you will need to close down the air sooner and further. Of course, this all depends on the wood supply which can be a large variable.

Through today's experience, I think that how the wood was loaded and ignited is another factor besides outside conditions on the cruising air setting. Usually I just do a top-down cold start with a tightly loaded stove, this I'm beginning to learn is somewhat self-regulating on the rate of wood being burned. This afternoon, however, was a loose reload of 5 splits with their ends on coals raked forward. Same outside conditions as this morning, but after letting it run for a while, I've had to shut the air down all the way.

As I think we can all agree, there are just so many factors!

"It's about to get much colder ..."

I see Olympia, WA is forecast to get snow at least from tonight through Thursday. Good luck!

Yup, temps have dropped quite a bit this evening and will be getting colder. Portland is forecast to get even more snow.

I’ve found pretty much the same settings work for me running a pre 2020 T5 as well (generally can’t run it below 1/3 in mild weather unless I run it hard for a while first). I find I end up settling pretty much bang on the middle of the adjustment for mild weather. Quite a different story here today at -30 degrees with gusty winds. On a warm reload I’m shutting down fully in under five minutes with good secondaries. Borderline scary draft when you can walk to the kitchen to get a snack for a minute or two and return to a raging inferno!

I’ve found pretty much the same settings work for me running a pre 2020 T5 as well (generally can’t run it below 1/3 in mild weather unless I run it hard for a while first). I find I end up settling pretty much bang on the middle of the adjustment for mild weather. Quite a different story here today at -30 degrees with gusty winds. On a warm reload I’m shutting down fully in under five minutes with good secondaries. Borderline scary draft when you can walk to the kitchen to get a snack for a minute or two and return to a raging inferno!
Thanks for that feedback which matches my experience. It gives me more confidence that perhaps I am doing things right. These forums tend to get me too much in the mindset of people who are burning 24/7 and in fairly cold weather, neither which applies to me. When this stove was on order, reading the forums had me preparing myself to prevent run away fires with my long straight stove pipe set up, but that hasn't been my experience.