Noob - Runaway Fire? Apologize for the long post ahead of time - freaked out!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
WarmGuy said:
About the baking soda bombs...

I would have thought that baking soda worked by smothering the fire. If the box is just sitting in the firebox, will it really put out the fire?

I'm tempted to try this out with a moderate fire, just for practice. Would there be any ill effects, you think?

BS can accomplish a lot, I've found.

The idea is that the cardboard box will burn away in a few seconds if the fire is really hot. At that point the powder "should" spread out to cover and engulf the burning material. I have NOT tried this - perhaps next year when I start making the old smoke dragon into a smoker I might try some experiments outdoors - I'm not going to risk messing up one of my good stoves unless there is a reason... (and I don't plan to let it get that bad!) :coolhmm:

Gooserider

If you are not knowledgeable about mechanical things or stoves why not have a local VC dealer come in and replace that thermostatic control just in case; and if you are then do it yourself. The dealer could give you a lot of insight into what controls what when they are there as well. I bet someone here has a link to the diagram for that stove.

You can find manuals on the VC website under archives/vigilant. Many of the parts are still avaliable and can be ordered through a dealer. Unfortunately the part I need (the bottom) is not because the new vigilants are for coal only. I'm broken hearted and now trying to find a new stove. I have 1600 sq ft. So far I've narrowed down to Harmon oakwood, Quadrafire Isle Royal or the Encore non cat (which I'm afraid isn't big enough) can anyone help!!

jodie said:
You can find manuals on the VC website under archives/vigilant. Many of the parts are still avaliable and can be ordered through a dealer. Unfortunately the part I need (the bottom) is not because the new vigilants are for coal only. I'm broken hearted and now trying to find a new stove. I have 1600 sq ft. So far I've narrowed down to Harmon oakwood, Quadrafire Isle Royal or the Encore non cat (which I'm afraid isn't big enough) can anyone help!!

in my other house i had the harman exception ..the oakwood wasn't out yet
i loved it the top loading feature was awesome!! the oakwood looks like a great stove!! i would go for that or a pe freestanding!!

Read the posts about the VC nonCAT models.. I am thinking of getting a different stove. I have here a Defiant Non CAT that is basically new. The Encore will heat 1800 Sq/ft if there is no problem with air circulation. I had one that did a great job heating 2400 Sq/ft: it was the CAT version. The difference between CAT and non CAT is simply the amount of attention you have to pay to the stove on a daily basis. The CAT version requires much less time to keep clean burn up. Its downside is replacing the CAT and/or regasketing from time to time. Most stoves will need maint from time to time. The CAT version is a good tradeoff.

Status
Not open for further replies.