Nor' Easter! Bring in the pets!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
zeta said:
keyman512us said:
"Up here on the Hill"...
Been on (basement) "flood watch" for 36 hours.

So much for living up on the hill eh?

Zeta...
...Yaghh I know..lol But I say the "Hill" because "Geologically speaking the rainwater that falls here...is important..if you live in Metro Boston".

Depending upon which side of town (the ridge or divide, etc.) the rain falls on...depends on who benefits from it.

Rainwater that falls in East Gardner ends up in the "headwaters" for the Nashua River (dumps into the Atlantic north of Boston) to the "North" is our drinking water supply here...to the West...the "headwaters" for the Otter/Millers into the Conneticut and into Long Island sound...and to the South? The headwaters of the Swift river Valley watershed...I.E. the Quabbin Reservoir.

Kind of trivial...but all four directions make a difference.

jpl1nh said:
GVA said:
Not quite sure what you are eluding to jpl?????????
Let's see you are in NH what was the flooding situation like last may (2006) or the columbus weekend storm of 2005. is this big compared to that?
And hate to tell you but the topic was on the nor'easter which being a New England term has nothing to do with ah...... Anything but New England.
And when was the last time you experienced coastal events in Inland NH?
I have to agree as most here in New England on the coast.......... This storm was nothing compared to most....... SORRY :smirk:
Guess I'm gonna have to strengthen my stand on this storm, indeed I think it has proven to be one for the record books. Homes washed out to sea in Saco Me, 55" of snow at Sugarbush USA, wind gusts to 81 mph off south coast, storm deaths in 17 states. The road damage and flooding closures here in the Seacoast of NH are really bad, I know the same is true all the way down through NJ, though not in every single spot. Power outages in the northeast in the 250,000 plus range some not expected to get it back until this weekend. Overall, and over a very large area, a storm with tremendous impact on many, many, people. In Lowell Ma ranked now as 5th worst FLOODING EVENT after, yes, May of 2006. I fear one of the hardest things about the flooding is that there probably has been a lot of structural damage to roadways, dams, bridges, etc from the events of last year, then adding this on top starts to really cause damage issues. My ex- working on the planning board in Durham Nh was reviewing their flood maps. She pointed out this is now the 4th "100 year" event in the last 30 years. Hmmm, 2 of them within the last 12 months! May or may not have to do with global warming but is consistant with what GW models project.
Still been a fairley non-event here. Compared to past nor-easters...

I'm just south of Lowell, and it has been annoying, but basically a non-event for us... No snow that stuck around. Lots of rain, but no noticeable flooding issues. The sump pump is going nuts, but it does that every year around this time, and the pump is having NO trouble keeping up. Closest thing to a problem was that I had to move the sensor for the water alarm - the water flowing into the sump pit had enough volume that it was splashing onto the top of the pump motor, and bouncing from there onto the sensor. :mad: Just had to move it up a couple of inches to get it out of the splash zone.

The only thing that's bad about moving it is that where the sensor normally is, I will get an alarm if the main pump quits and I start using the backup. Now I'll only alarm if the backup pump quits too (pretty unlikely)

Gooserider

What a difference a few days makes!!!

ANd what's that big round yellow thing up in the sky? It hurts my eyes when I look at it

Stuff is drying out pretty fast, I went out this afternoon and ran three tanks of gas through the saw, dropped a bunch of the junk trees I've been wanting to get rid of, cut up most of them, found the chainsaw boots work pretty good stomping around outside (no surprise). Alot of the trees I was taking down had big buds on them, and I'm seeing the start of leaves on a few bushes, etc.

Stood by the hive entrance of both beehives, tons of activity, with lots of pollen being brought back - short of openning up the hive, this is the best sign I can hope to see, as pollen coming back means that the bees are making babies... They need to be doing this big time right now as the current population is mostly last fall's bees that are starting to reach the end of their lifespans, and have died in large numbers over the winter - the population will double or triple in the next few weeks as the new workers start coming on line and begin building this seasons honey crop.... Now all I need to do is wait for the dandelions to come up so that I can start putting on my honey supers.

Looks like spring is finally actually getting here!

Gooserider

;-)
Gooserider said:
Stuff is drying out pretty fast, I went out this afternoon and ran three tanks of gas through the saw, dropped a bunch of the junk trees I've been wanting to get rid of, cut up most of them, found the chainsaw boots work pretty good stomping around outside (no surprise). Alot of the trees I was taking down had big buds on them, and I'm seeing the start of leaves on a few bushes, etc.

Stood by the hive entrance of both beehives, tons of activity, with lots of pollen being brought back - short of openning up the hive, this is the best sign I can hope to see, as pollen coming back means that the bees are making babies... They need to be doing this big time right now as the current population is mostly last fall's bees that are starting to reach the end of their lifespans, and have died in large numbers over the winter - the population will double or triple in the next few weeks as the new workers start coming on line and begin building this seasons honey crop.... Now all I need to do is wait for the dandelions to come up so that I can start putting on my honey supers.

Gooserider
I'm not sure how to respond to this Goose.....

GVA said:
;-)
Gooserider said:

Gooserider
I'm not sure how to respond to this Goose.....

Don't know that you have to... :coolsmile:

More nice weather, got another 3 tanks and a slpash - I hate it when you run out half way through dropping a tree :red: I don't like leaving the saw sitting with gas in it, as it seems to have a very slow leak, so my usual method is fill it, and quit when it starts getting late and the tank runs out.... This afternoon I dropped a few trees, cut those up, cut up all the stuff left over from yesterday, engine was still running so I started to drop the next batch - soon as I get the notch mostly cut the saw quits... :mad: Can't leave a partly cut tree, so I have to go put a splash in the tank just to finish dropping, then cut up most of it while waiting for the saw to run out again... Tomorrow will probably only be a tank or two day as I need to work on getting all the stuff I've cut picked up and cleaned up...

Probably not all that much total wood volume considering that all the trees were fairly small, most 3-4" to the biggest maybe a foot or so. The wood guy would probably have run 90% of the stuff through the chipper, I'm going to burn about 80%, cause I'm cheap! Mostly swamp maple and other marginally good stuff that was growing in clumps where I thinned them down to one or two trees that will hopefully grow better as a result, or trees that were growing "pretzel style"... Hoping the way I've tried to open things up will encourage the trees I left to bulk up more, and / or have more saplings grow up to reasonable size.

Gooserider

Hey I just wanted to recap a bit on this storm. Maybe is was just one of the worst in a 100 year span excluding hurricanes, but like a cane this one really wound itself up quickly and to have the wind power it did over such a large area is very impressive.

After traveling locally this past week I have taken great notice to all the down timber and trees. Yes the trees where leaveless but I can only imagine the damage if leaves where on them. Over elevations over 1,000 feet really got slammed hard. Everywhere you look there is damage and a tree down somewhere whenever you turn around. Many homes at this elevation had some kind of shingle damage, strip roof loss, even metal roof sections torn off. Winds where generally out of the east , then southeast to SSE direction

I say the winds where in comparison to a category 2 hurricane to do this extensive damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.