Normal for room air to be sucked in from stove collar and stove pipe sections

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bens_igloo

Jan 9, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I noticed that some room air is being sucked in from the stove collar area and between a section of stove pipe. Is this normal or should I call my installer? The stove pipe seems to be a little bit bigger than the stove collar so theres a gap there, but I assume the sizes are completely standard.

I have double-walled black pipe connected to a PE Summit. This is a new install from a month ago.

I apologize if this has been covered: I did a search and did not find results.

Thanks for your feedback!

The fit should be snug. If there is a gap it should be cemented or gasketed. Unfortunately flue collar ID and OD varies slightly between manufacturers, also with stove pipe brands and style. If you can post a picture of the area of concern maybe something can be suggested.

I think op is talking about the gap between the outer wall of the double wall and the outside of the flue collar.

It should be about 1/2” bigger and have an obvious gap. The inner wall seals down inside the flue collar.

Reactions: begreen
I am not sure about to terminology, I think it is just the outer wall. This is what it looks like.

Attachments

• IMG_2161.JPG
    IMG_2161.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 365
Oh my god, he crushed the outer wall down trying to secure the pipe to the stove! I’m so sorry for the situation.

I don't think that's double wall pipe. I think that's single wall that's fastened to the collar like that. If so that's not good! Something is way off there in sizing. Kevin

I don't think that's double wall pipe. I think that's single wall that's fastened to the collar like that. If so that's not good! Something is way off there in sizing. Kevin
Gotta be double wall. If it was single wall it would be 8" and you would see the crimped end of it.

Yep the id of the outer pipe on double flue pipe ( the black stuff) is pretty generous. Made that way to fit over every one's flue collar. I will guess there was/is about a 1/2" clearance all around oh the double wall over my collar on the Englander NC30. Crankin a screw down tight at that junction is going to crush the pipe and look awfull.

Yep the id of the outer pipe on double flue pipe ( the black stuff) is pretty generous. Made that way to fit over every one's flue collar. I will guess there was/is about a 1/2" clearance all around oh the double wall over my collar on the Englander NC30. Crankin a screw down tight at that junction is going to crush the pipe and look awfull.

It also looks pretty awful when the installer drills huge holes in the outer wall to acces to the flue collar for screws. I just didn’t use screws here as directed and approved by professional installers and the inspectors. There’s nothing holding the double wall to my stove.

I used screws to secure our double-wall pipe to the flue collar, without puckering the outer jacket. And I used black screws.

So I loosened the screws and thankfully the outer wall isn't bent. However, it was a long screw and goes through the "inner" wall as well and it makes a small whistling noise if I loosen the screw. Either way I'm going to call my installer and ask him to come make it proper. He was responsive and I am sure he'll agree.

Another question: should the double wall pipe go all the way down to the stove body? As shown in the picture I uploaded, it's about 3/8th of an inch higher than the stove top.

As to the screw color, I plan on painting it black.

Another question: should the double wall pipe go all the way down to the stove body? As shown in the picture I uploaded, it's about 3/8th of an inch higher than the stove top.
The inner liner of the double-wall should fit snugly in the stove's flue collar. The outer jacket may still be a bit higher than the stove top.

So I loosened the screws and thankfully the outer wall isn't bent. However, it was a long screw and goes through the "inner" wall as well and it makes a small whistling noise if I loosen the screw. Either way I'm going to call my installer and ask him to come make it proper. He was responsive and I am sure he'll agree.

As to the screw color, I plan on painting it black.

Nope, the outer wall will almost always not bottom out on the stove top. The inner wall sets the height as the taper tightens into the stove.

that might vary a bit between stoves and the pipe mfg- previous nc30 od was resting on stove top. pipe was from Selkirk about 8 years ago.

This is the amount of movement we have in between our stove pipe and stove collar. Is this considered abnormal? We have a fairly significant build up creosote in the stove pipe every time we clean it (and we clean it almost every month), so I feel like room air is being sucked in.

Attachments

• IMG_0456.MOV
    10.2 MB
This is the amount of movement we have in between our stove pipe and stove collar. Is this considered abnormal? We have a fairly significant build up creosote in the stove pipe every time we clean it (and we clean it almost every month), so I feel like room air is being sucked in.
Nope that's not ok. It needs gasket and then attached with screws.

Will this be what’s causing our creosote build-up in the stove pipe?
Yes, it could be. Though there may be other factors too.

Hmmm, regular DVL fits snuggly on the Alderlea T6 LE flue collar with no adapter. Where is the 400º+ reading taken? Stove top or stovepipe probe?

We have an Auber probe thermometer.
The section of telescopic pipe doesn’t have a male end.

Someone else commented on my question to use a gasket and secure it-how would you suggest doing something like this?

We have an Auber probe thermometer.
The section of telescopic pipe doesn’t have a male end.

Someone else commented on my question to use a gasket and secure it-how would you suggest doing something like this?
400 internal is fairly low.

As far as gasket and securing typically a flat gasket works well and run screws through the holes in the stove collar

Do you think this would be the cause of our creosote problems?
Air leaks will certainly contribute. How are you measuring the moisture content of your wood? What type of chimney and how tall is it?