North American pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

geek

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 28, 2008
Central CT
Lowes in Derby has this new brand now, has anyone tried this or seen this brand before?

i will pickup 2 bags for me this afternoon, if you want 2 let me know so i buy them for you, or we can trade .... :)

Trade is OK with me, I have:

Cubex

Lignetics green label(conifer blend)

Stove Chow

Hamers

Clean Energy

Energex American

Warm Front(might be tough to get to though)

Rocky Mountains

Take your pick?

never tried Rocky Mountains before, either that or Cubies....

I will buy 2 extra bags and send them over to you with our fella.

any time....just delivered 2 bags of this North American brand to our fella, he will bring them to you tomorrow.
This pellet "seem" promising, well the clear bag shows the pellet to be clean with no much fines. Note that the bag says :
"20 Commerce Drive, Massena NY"

Interesting, is there a mill there aside from NEWP ?

Curran Renewable Energy LLC
20 Commerce Drive
Massena, NY 13662-2576

Rebagged Currans, Probably to reduce problems with dealers selling Currans and Lowes then selling for less. So they sell them in a different bag.

Are they a blend?

yeah, bag says it is a blend.....i'm sure you tested them, right?

I tested last season, Brian from Curran has sent me a fresh bag of this seasons blend. I was waiting until the cold has settled down some. I like having the stove on high/low at night. It would mess up the hours running on low all night.

I liked them and burned about 1/2 ton last season in the spring. They were average but slightly more ash than I would want but the price was a steal so! These might be a tad better?

i saw your post about them, at least i like their smell.. :)
Fines seem to be low, it is a clear bag, i won't post pictures since you're getting your 2 bags tomorrow.

here are some pics:

Attachments

• Picture 005 small.jpg
    Picture 005 small.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 1,286
  • Picture 001small.jpg
    Picture 001small.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 1,290
  • Picture 002 small.jpg
    Picture 002 small.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 1,275
  • Picture 004 small.jpg
    Picture 004 small.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 1,278
  • Picture 003 small.jpg
    Picture 003 small.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 1,286
these pellets seem to burn very hot, a bit ashy though as someone mentioned about the Curran.

New in at Lowes in Vestal NY...7th or 8th variety of the season. I burned a bag and they are nice and hot, not dusty, not a lot of fines, ash is moderate. I am pleased and will likely pick up 20 bags or so ($3.74 per bag) to make sure I have enough for the season. I had a bad experience with Curran's in a white bag (they were basically unburnable) and this is a nice surprise. I can't believe how many different varieties the local big box stores have gone through.

xuperman said:
New in at Lowes in Vestal NY...7th or 8th variety of the season. I burned a bag and they are nice and hot, not dusty, not a lot of fines, ash is moderate. I am pleased and will likely pick up 20 bags or so ($3.74 per bag) to make sure I have enough for the season. I had a bad experience with Curran's in a white bag (they were basically unburnable) and this is a nice surprise. I can't believe how many different varieties the local big box stores have gone through.

i also agree this brand is not bad at all except that the ash

North American Pellets are the same thing as Curran Pellets. The address, 20 Commerce Dr. Masena, NY , is the same for both products.

that is what jay said

Swore I would never burn Curran's again and ususpecting me bought 5 bags!!

As soon as I opened the first bag ohhh that smell... the bad memories came back.
That chemical smell that acually burned my eyes and stunk up my basement..
Burned 2/3 a bag with lots of curran ash and trashed the rest and the 4 other bags are heading back to lowes tomorrow.
Curran's stink in more way than one no kidding.. they stink. I have actully had pretty good luck with Penningtons from wally world.
Sorry Curran but your pellets stink what the heck do you use to bind these things together anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.