North south vs east west

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Wolves1

Minister of Fire
Nov 15, 2014
Malverne ny
To me it seams like I’m getting slightly longer burn times east west. Love to hear other people’s experience.

True on that, but the fire seems to light of quicker and burn better NS

Reactions: Fuut Master
I can fit allot more wood in ns which for me means longer burns.

For the same amount of wood loaded, the general rule is that E-W fires will burn slightly longer than N-S.

That said, E-W fires will give you a lower heat output than N-S since the fire is burning slow.

Here’s my anecdotal thoughts. I seem to get slightly better burn times for the same amount of wood in the N-S config as the stove gets hotter faster and I can turn it down sooner. I definitely get more complete combustion that way.

No worry about a log rolling into the door glass with a N/S load.

As others have said N/S tends to be a better burn. I find that I have to tinker with the air a lot more with E/W. I think it’s because the fire is always battling against fresh wood on the bottom as it burns back. So it goes through cuticles of turning it down then dying, adding more air then turning it down again.

The only time I try E/W is on a reload where I have a lot of coals. I’ll pull them forward and place the new stuff behind. If I do N/S with too many coals I go nuclear.

If possible I will load n/s before bed because we can pack more in our stove. Also less worry about the wood falling against the glass. I do run e/w on the top and n/s on the bottom during the day so I can use up the longer (18" plus) splits we have. Overall I load n/s because of the easy start up easy loading. Now my stove up north is much wider than deep so I'm limited on how much n/s loading we can do. Now that I'm cutting splitting my own wood I hope to have all our wood cut to length in a few years for n/s loading.

Based on the secondary air design in the T6 I get a more complete and even burn with N/S loading, especially with hardwood, but E/W does seem to be a bit slower and longer burn. Many stoves shoot boost air down low. An E/W loaded log effectively blocks this boost air (and the airwash air) keeping the fire burning mostly in front whereas the N/S load tends to burn more a bit more uniformly front to back.

ditto on the N/S for my T5, the E/W loads I've put in tend to burn weird due to that secondary air. N/S burns like a cigarette.

Once in a while I'll put a few extra long splits in there NE/SW :rolleyes:

Reactions: SuperJ and lsucet
ditto on the N/S for my T5, the E/W loads I've put in tend to burn weird due to that secondary air. N/S burns like a cigarette.

Once in a while I'll put a few extra long splits in there NE/SW :rolleyes:
Yeah, that's more accurate than a compass.;lol

1AB9CE97-4D17-477D-8F1C-3E8C75B6B3D0.png E2F97C2A-B788-4E6D-8FEB-95C85C758C77.png
Temps recorded with my new WiFi cat thermometer. Top is N/S bottom is E/W very small difference.

Reactions: Squisher
Yes that is correct. Will do some more experimenting maybe I’ll try NE/SW.

View attachment 216792 View attachment 216793
Temps recorded with my new WiFi cat thermometer. Top is N/S bottom is E/W very small difference.
Looks like there is a temp variance, and it is a more standard burn with the N/S. Overall, not a huge difference. Granted this is just 1 day of data, i'd like to see more

Also, that thermometer is cool :)