1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Not bad for the Old Dragon

Post in 'Classic Wood Stove Forums (prior to approx. 1993)' started by Locust Post, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Locust Post

Locust Post Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeast Ohio
    As most around here I let the fire go out yesterday and have yet to start one. Ran a brush down the chimney and here's what we got. I really like this new liner, takes all the guess work out of cleaning. Only about a foot at the top had much of anything. I am guessing that this was mainly from the slabs I have burnt occasionally as a friend (fellow wood burner and portable saw mill operator) told me that he has always heard that bark causes more creosote than the wood itself. I can't confirm that but maybe someone on here could comment if they have heard anything similar.

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Hogwildz

Hogwildz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Next to nuke plant Berwick, PA.
    Stage two nasties......
  3. Oldhippie

Oldhippie Minister of Fire

Say what?
  4. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
  5. Oldhippie

Oldhippie Minister of Fire

Got it.

Thanks!

I think I almost got the Stage 2 Nasties from Victoria Nebronsky in thesummer of 69.. but it was a false alarm! :)
  6. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Nothing brushing out your "chimney" won't fix.
  7. bluedogz

bluedogz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Maryland
    :ahhh: :ahhh: :ahhh:
  8. BobUrban

BobUrban Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Michigan
    Very similar amount as I am getting out of my VC after 6 weeks. Just keep it clean with a schedule and it should be fine. I, to, find the largest, blackest stuff near the top and understand that is common regarding the conensation and lower temps as it gets near the chimney exit.

As a side note: Since I began using Rutlands creasote remover once a week or so I am getting nearly the same amount but it is mostly brown/grey and ashy Vs. More black and shiny with the only black coming off the top few inches and cap when I tap it(I clean from bottom up)

There are mixed opinions regarding the Rutlands but it is so cheep that I feel it offers peace of mind so I will continue to use it. If you search my post history you can see picks of what I am talking about.
  9. kettensäge

kettensäge Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    N.E. PA.
    I doubt bark causes creosote unless it's wet, and if it is than the wood is wet also. A good hot fire and dry wood is best. I reload bark down, fire takes off quicker than if I put non bark side against he coals.

I see very small amounts of stage 1 stuff in my chimney. Never enough to bother with.