Not happy at all with 10-cpm heat output

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a lot of coin just for a slightly prettier stove. My 10-cpm is pretty decent looking.
My wife wouldn't let me put a sheet metal stove in the family room. To her, the appearance of the MVAE was worth the difference.

ok thanks...what 3 button settings and what feed/blower setting are you running to get the 338?
You can't compare the surface temperature that an IR thermometer gives with the air temperature that you are measuring.
Also, as Smokey said, you have to consider the delta between input and output convection air. Knowing only the output doesn't tell the whole story.
I have measured the inlet and outlet temperatures on both my stoves, and I know that the measurement is very sensitive to technique. If I don't hold the thermocouple in the same spot each time, I can get 20 to 30 degree differences in my measurement. So when you compare output temperatures only with other people and you use different measurement instruments and uncontrolled techniques you have no idea just what you are comparing.
People like the notion that the air coming out of the stove is very hot. What really maters is (delta T x volume). To extract the most heat from the heat exchanger run the convection blower at the highest speed your ears will tolerate. The output temperature will be lower but your stove will be doing a more efficient job of extracting energy from the pellets and delivering it to your home.
One other thing to look at. I don't know if the CPM has a choke plate at the bottom of the hopper. My PDVC does. The position of the choke plate can be used to tune the feed rate of pellets. If that is closed more than the stove you are comparing it to, it will never have the same output. Opening it will, of course, increase the pellet consumption. Your stove can't make heat without burning pellets.

Those settings are 1-4-2 and 7-9. Keeping my 2500 sg ft colonial 70 degrees during a high of 26 and 14 degree low at night.

I have been runnimg my CPM for 4 seasons now as a primary heat source, I have yet to use a secondary heat source. My stove temps have been taken with an IR gun. The burn pot can, on cold high burn days, reach 650 degrees. The ir temp at the blower vent is always 350 degrees plus. 4 years now with my cpm. Wouldn't trade it in at all. As with any stove, air to fuel ratio and clean intake and exhaust.
20130121_193903_zpsc62e6f12.jpg
measuring w/ an infared gun is not the best way to measure stove air temps.
you want the measuring device in the airstream at the output and not touching (or reading) metal surface temps.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.