Not Sure.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
I'm not sure what type of tree this is but when I get it down I'll get a picture of the bark and wood after it's split.

Zap

Attachments

• 100_2726-1.jpg
    100_2726-1.jpg
    383 KB · Views: 443
  • 100_2727.jpg
    100_2727.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 429
Looks like a firewood tree to me. What's the deal with that white stuff?

SolarAndWood said:
Looks like a firewood tree to me. What's the deal with that white stuff?

It's called coyote turf, most of it should be gone by next weekend with the rain plus the warmer weather.

Zap

EatenByLimestone said:
Get a shot of the twig also, if you remember.

Matt

I'll do that Matt but I think it's dead.

Zap

I thought the one I was doing today was walnut....Didnt look close until the chips never darken up. Pignut sometimes the dust helps ID!

smokinjay said:
I thought the one I was doing today was walnut....Didnt look close until the chips never darken up. Pignut sometimes the dust helps ID!

Smokin the bark is real close to the bark in this picture and I'm not sure what this is but my neighbor who I gave it to said it burned real good plus left some nice coals.

Zap

Attachments

• 100_2576.jpg
    100_2576.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 388
zapny said:
smokinjay said:

Smokin the bark is real close to the bark in this picture and I'm not sure what this is but my neighbor who I gave it to said it burned real good plus left some nice coals.

Zap

Nothing I have ever cut.

smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:

Zap

Nothing I have ever cut.

I should be back in that area next weekend so I'll drop it then buck it up and split it so we have a better idea. I do not think it is a small basswood, I think all the elm died off.

Zap

from the first far away pics it looks like elm zap? but the closeup on the bark doesnt seem to be?

Looks like it could very well be an elm.

loon said:
from the first far away pics it looks like elm zap? but the closeup on the bark doesnt seem to be?

Loon I'll take a run back in some night this week and grab a close up of the bark. I talked with the former owner of the land today and they use to have elm back on the property but he thought they all died.

He remembers cutting a few down that had died.

Zap

nrford said:
Looks like it could very well be an elm.

Does dead elm still split hard and stringy.

Zap

Dead elm splits good. But we leave it until the bark has fallen off before cutting it. I see there is some bark off but I'd leave it another year before cutting it if it is elm. It certainly grows like elm judging by the shape of the tree.

Backwoods Savage said:
Dead elm splits good. But we leave it until the bark has fallen off before cutting it. I see there is some bark off but I'd leave it another year before cutting it if it is elm. It certainly grows like elm judging by the shape of the tree.

Sav I'm thinking that is going to be part of a new trail that goes up the hill so I want it down. That will give us two points of entry for that hill which I cut some nice downed Sugar Maple and a good size Quaking Aspen. We still have a nice downed Cherry with some smaller downed Sugar Maple up on that hill.

Zap

Zap cut it down and then let us know how it splits.

I think both the shape of the tree - kind of vase shaped - and the bark look like elm.

After cutting/splitting almost a cord of Elm this past winter i would say that is Elm too - based on the shape of the branch growth. The picture of the bark you posted looks identical to the bigger Elm I cut down about a month ago.

True confirmation will come as soon as you try to split that first round!

VTHC said:
After cutting/splitting almost a cord of Elm this past winter i would say that is Elm too - based on the shape of the branch growth. The picture of the bark you posted looks identical to the bigger Elm I cut down about a month ago.

True confirmation will come as soon as you try to split that first round!

When elm burns down does it leave just powder or coals?

Zap

zapny said:
When elm burns down does it leave just powder or coals?

Zap

I burned a lot of Elm this winter. Burns well but doesn't have the btu output of Oak or Locust. I would probably put it about equal or slightly ahead of Cherry. I would normally use it for mid-day or start-up burns and switch to Sugar Maple and Ash for my overnights so i never really got to see how good it is at coaling after an overnight burn. On a normal burn cycle it seems to coal up pretty nicely (not quite as nice as Oak or Locust, but not fine small coals), and after burning completely down to ash it produces minimal fine ash (if no bark)...

All in all, pretty good firewood! Just a pain to split. As Backwoods Savage said; best to wait until the bark falls off before cutting down for splitting. Even then it can be a b*tch! Greener stuff is stringy as all get out. I would recommend a splitter if you got one! If you need the tree gone for a trail and it is still really stringy inside i would buck it up and stack it for later splitting - unless you have a splitter, then be ready for some stringy messy firewood.

Elm can burn very good but will certainly not burn as long as oak. It will coal but not as well as ash or oaks or similar wood. I can tell you we heated our home almost entirely with elm for several years and did just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.