Notched baffle plate / flame wrapping around baffle plate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

zmender

Feeling the Heat
Dec 27, 2021
CT
Hey all!

Over the summer while soot-eating the flue, I noticed a small notch on the baffle plate. Had not paid much attention to this. This evening after I reloaded and enjoying the view, I noticed that the secondary flame front was wrapping around the baffle plate, and where the notch was, the flame seemed to shoot dangerously close into the exhaust!

After the off-gassing ended and the stove calmed down, the flames stops pretty much around baffle plate - but the sight of this was slightly unnerving. Couple questions -

1. Is it normal, when the stove is fully loaded with dry fuel + off gassing, that some flames will wrap over the baffle plate?
2. Replacing the notched baffle plate.... is it a) not a big deal, b) replace it next time I clean the flue, or c) stop using stove until this is done?

Thanks!

tempImage9p0B0f.png tempImage7Pfx1y.png

It doesn't look unusual. Some stoves have flame shields or diverters before the flue outlet.
What stove is this?

Reactions: zmender
This is the VC Montiplier. It's an inherited unit from original house owner / my 2nd season with it, hence my knowledge of the age of the stove is limited.
I've cleaned the flue with SootEater before first fire this season, and replaced the door gaskets around Jan of 2023 as well.

I thought it looked familiar. In my opinion the stove is fine, but I would listen to Begreen for final word. My baffle split almost perfectly in half a few years ago, front to back. The pieces overlap, and it actually makes it easier to remove when cleaning ;)

Flames do wrap around the baffle occasionally. Your stove may breathe marginally better than mine.

Reactions: begreen and zmender